• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What do you do when you're struck with an idea?

JAdams

Registered Member
Basically, I've just been struck by an idea for a new story, but so far, it's all bullet points.

--> MC is Lt. Joshua Hughes of the HMS Forfus.

--> Set in the 1800s, during the Napoleonic Wars.

--> A child, named Archie Gordon, winds up on the ship. (He's twelve.)

--> Battles with the French ships.

So, what should I do now? All I'm doing is obsessing over why there'd be a kid floating around for a British ship to discover and rescue.

What's the best thing for me to do now? Just write it out? Go research naval tactics and British ships of the era (since I know little about it)?

m1ssro

Registered Member
When I'm struck with an idea, I start out just the way you did...by writing down the main ideas I want to capture in list form. If I have any specific scenes in mind right off the bat, I will either take notes on them or even go ahead and just write them out completely while they are fresh in my mind so that I can insert them back into the main body later.

Just sitting down and starting to write is the best method for me, but since it sounds like a little research is needed in your case, it might be best if you started there and kept a separate notebook to jot down any new ideas or scenes you come up with during your research.

Good luck with your writing!!

Merricles

Registered Member
I have so many idea for stories right now it isn't funny haha. I keep bullet points on them, but almost never actually do them. Sometimes they are 'reimagined' stories from other people that I think I could do better and sometimes they are just things I would like to see.

JAdams

Registered Member
I think a good place to start the research is to read the Master and Commander and Sharpe series. Both of them are about British naval battles during the Napoleonic Wars. They'll likely ansewr questions like: "What the hell is the kid doing out in a warzone? How did his ship get attacked? How was he the only survivor? etc..."

dDave

V.I.P.
Basically, I've just been struck by an idea for a new story, but so far, it's all bullet points.

--> MC is Lt. Joshua Hughes of the HMS Forfus.

--> Set in the 1800s, during the Napoleonic Wars.

--> A child, named Archie Gordon, winds up on the ship. (He's twelve.)

--> Battles with the French ships.

So, what should I do now? All I'm doing is obsessing over why there'd be a kid floating around for a British ship to discover and rescue.

What's the best thing for me to do now? Just write it out? Go research naval tactics and British ships of the era (since I know little about it)?
You could say he ran away from home and stowed away on another ship, but he was thrown overboard when they found him. Or you could always take the Pirates of the Caribbean approach and have him floating around a shipwreck. You could easily leave that one unexplained other than the fact that there was a shipwreck.

Starfire86

Registered Member
Pretty much an outline, like yours, then I write random scenes and trying to string them together.