• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What do you do when your kid won’t eat?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
What do you guys do when your kid won’t eat? I mean, you can’t just shovel food down their mouths, and that wouldn’t be good parenting anyway.

For us, we ALWAYS find ourselves in a situation where our son will leave half of his food. If we give him a lot, he leaves a bunch. If we give him a little, he leaves a bunch.

So we’ve gotten used to giving him a little more than we’re ok with him eating. Then we save the leftovers for lunch the next day if needed.

And I’m not going to lie, I’ve counted to three more bites with him and sometimes repeated a number of he loses track... lol

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Reward, reward, reward. And avoid the power struggle.

"That's fine, Turdbreath, but you can't have a snack tonight if you don't eat a nutritous meal first."
"Yes, Bratula, it is your choice to not eat this meal. It will be ready for you when you're ready to eat." -put it away in front of them, and don't allow any other food until they finish.

The key to these situations is that you reward them with praise (or in my house, tokens for our token economy), a small snack, or other satisfying reward. He needs to know that finishing his nutritious meal is the right thing to do.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
@Doc, I’ve pulled the “Ok if you’re not hungry, we can save the rest of your food for breakfast” routine before. He’ll usually just eat it for dinner when I do that. It at lest score a negotiation and a compromise, which again, is a great reason to give them a little more than you expect them to eat to start. That way they feel like they are winning by not finishing, but you know all they skipped was the extra credit. 😏

• Love
Reactions: Doc

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
When I was real little, like three and four years old, I didn't eat much either (unless it was goodies) because I didn't like the taste of most foods back then, for some reason.

But by the time I was six or so, I ate a lot of food, fortunately.