Question What do you do for work?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Pretty basic question.

What do you do for work?

When I was last on 3 years ago I was working making sandwiches at Jimmy John’s. Not the best job but it had a couple fun aspects to it.

These days I’m working as an AudioVisual Engineer. I deal with big audio systems, mixers, speakers, projectors, TVs, etc. I run them for big and small events. Really fun job, best I’ve ever had.

I started in my position July of 2017. For 2 years before that I was working as an IT Technician at the same organization. I dealt with level 2 and 3 tickets as the lead client facing PC Technician. They were sad to see me go.

I also have a small side business I do with a friend to engineer and DJ events such as parties and weddings.

What do you do for work?

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I'm a freelance translator. Working from home and I couldn't ask for better. Sharing an office with my father in the process. Usually working on books, websites or various stuff.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I'm a freelance translator. Working from home and I couldn't ask for better. Sharing an office with my father in the process. Usually working on books, websites or various stuff.
That’s a very unique and interesting profession!

What type of content do you translate?

How many languages do you know?

Impaired

Registered Member
I'm a network engineer. I build networks, servers, configure firewalls and do a lot of virtualization work. I love solving problems and it makes me a good troubleshooter. It feels good to go in and sort out somebody's issues and get everything working again. I work for a small service provider and am usually in a different place every day. For the past year I have been lucky enough to work two days a week at a satellite communications company. I get to talk to NASA from time to time. There is something inherently cool (for me) in doing my job across some remote link to Australia, Chile, etc. Last year I had a simple job to build a bunch of virtual servers for the Italian space agency, Telespazio. Simple work, but the fact that they were for a space agency made it interesting for me.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
That’s a very unique and interesting profession!

What type of content do you translate?

How many languages do you know?
I speak French and English, and I also studied Spanish and German in college, although I'm very rusty with both of them since I haven't spoken it in years. As for the content, there's a lot of various stuff; books, websites, I even did some subtitles work as well.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I speak French and English, and I also studied Spanish and German in college, although I'm very rusty with both of them since I haven't spoken it in years. As for the content, there's a lot of various stuff; books, websites, I even did some subtitles work as well.
That job does seem really interesting and satisfying. At some point ai will be able to do job as good and faster, right? How close is that?

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I'm a Paraplanner. Basically, I put together advice ready for a Financial Adviser to go out and see a client with. I'll get given client details and any rough ideas the Financial Adviser may have and then I research products and investments that are suitable for the client based on their circumstances, then put that into a plan for the adviser to move forward with.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
That job does seem really interesting and satisfying. At some point ai will be able to do job as good and faster, right? How close is that?
Well, not necessarily. If you look at stuff like Google Translate, it's far from being perfect so the human component with translation will always be important and needed. While we all use translating tools like Trados or Studio (I personally use OmegaT), we pretty much build our database for those software ourselves with the work we're doing or samples that other translators have made available.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Well, not necessarily. If you look at stuff like Google Translate, it's far from being perfect so the human component with translation will always be important and needed. While we all use translating tools like Trados or Studio (I personally use OmegaT), we pretty much build our database for those software ourselves with the work we're doing or samples that other translators have made available.
Similar for me. I do electrical transmission engineering. At some point the machines will take over but for the foreseeable future the human component is irreplaceable. What has happened is less people are needed for the jobs but as long as you are ahead of the curve you will be rewarded.