What do you do for the environment?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Passiton, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Passiton

Passiton Registered Member

My niece and nephew keep hounding me to be more environmentally friendly, what do you do to do your bit?

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I practice a few things. When I can conveniently walk instead of drive I'll do that. For instance in my area we have pretty decent sized shopping centers that will have anywhere from 5-10 different Tenants ranging from drug stores to restaurants to food marts to specialty stores. These centers usually have pretty large parking lots and its sometimes tempting to just get in the truck and move it over closer to the next store. I make a point to not do that and just walk the whole time. Saves gas, exhaust, and is just better for me in the long run.

In a house I'll keep lights off. This is actually more of a pet peave of mine. Im not a fan of having lights on that arent being used. For instance when I leave a room I turn the lights out. The switches are placed in convenient spots for a reason! The only case I'd ever leave a light on is in a room where there is no convenient switch (like if its on a ceiling fan pull string in the middle of the room).

I reuse things like crazy. Boxes, bags, anything... I'll use it until theres pretty much no use left in it... and then I'll find another use for it! I have a pretty crafty imagination and this wonderful tool called the internet... so ideas are always out there for using egg cartons for cricket food cutting up and using as packing protection. The only downside to this is it sorta turns me into a pack rat, and thats not easy when it comes to cleaning up :hah:

3. Ainabla

Ainabla Registered Member

Unitl now I haven't done nothing for enviornment but i don't have the power to do it. If all people get convinced to save our planet maybe we can save it. What is my impact if i don't use car while china builds almost everyweek a nuclear power plant.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I recycle cans and card board boxes, it might not be as much has other people do to help the environment. But a lot of people don't do anything, so at least I'm doing a small thing like this to help it out a bit.

5. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

I recycle, have win turbines and solar panels as well as rain barrels and a compost bin. I don't drive unless I absolutely have to. Normally I walk ,Bike or board to get where I need to go.

I am trying to make our house and family go green as much as I can. This fall i will be planting up to 10 trees on my plot of land.

6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I get to thinking that to... but then I wonder. If everyone out there recycled just as much as you did, that'd be just as much as you times the whole worlds population! Thats honestly a pretty hefty number.

Its bound to be one of those situations where even a little helps no matter how minuscule.

7. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Our family recycles plastic bottles, cans and paper. We don't turn on the house heater unless it's really cold (maybe around 40 F) or a few hours before we go to bed. Same thing with air conditioning. We only turn it on for a few hours when we get home and it's hot as hell and a few hours before we go to bed. We installed screens on our windows to keep the house cooler. We use small fans and heaters that you can carry around so we don't waste it on rooms with no one in it.

8. RATTIE

RATTIE Registered Member

I recycle and re-use everything I can.
    I have a compost bin.
    I turn off lights and unused sockets.
    I avoid using aerosols as much as possible.
    We have a log burner and only use fallen limbs and driftwood.
    I only use rechargable batteries.
    I've worn the same clothes for a VERY long time. :lol:

That's all I can think of for now.

9. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

We recycle cans and bottles and have a compost bin. Try to turn off lights that aren't being used. Hmmm thats all I can think of for now.
    I don't buy in to it all that much to be honest.

10. LadyPinky

LadyPinky scientia potestas est

I recycle, use reusable shopping bags, I use a nalgene instead of new water bottles every time, use florescent light bulbs, isolated the windows in my room and use a electric blacnket instead of a space heater.