What do you dislike about sports?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Even though the Sports section is one of the most active section on these forums, there's a lot of members here that dislike sports, or just likes a one or a couple of them like Jeanie for example.

When me, Millz and Echoes are talking about sports in the chatroom and there's a few other members in there, they respond by saying oh not again.

I was just curious why do you dislike sports? Or most of them.

What turns you off?

Thoughts?

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I just don't get what the big deal is. Grown men cry over football, people have been killed over football... Football, football, football. It's the biggest sport I hate. I have to put earphones in when my boyfriend watches is and have left the room many times. I hate the chanting, the commentators, the players. UGH!
    It's nice that you have something to hold your interest but why does it matter so much? When you support a team, why do you cry over them? Also, why are you known to get so angry at them? I hate it and it feels good to rant about it.

3. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

It's not necessarily that I dislike other sports per se, it's just that they don't really appeal to me as a form of entertainment.

I enjoy being at a baseball game, regardless of the size of the league, but I wouldn't necessarily want to join a discussion about baseball.

4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

The discussions deteriorate into insults and jabs over someone else's ability. You debate endlessly about how this or that person is going to perform, what their stats are...this amazing play...I don't know. I just do not have the slightest interest in discussing things down to that type of detail.

I hate watching any sport on television because of the commentators. All of them irritate me. I think that a lot of athletes go through a lot of punishment, training, and hurdle after hurdle to be the best they can be.....and then some guy who's probably never even played the game somehow has the authority to debate over their mistakes. If I were an athelete, that would infuriate me. To me...commentators are to athletes as paparazzi are to celebrities.

I would love sports a lot more if it was really about fun and entertainment, instead of analyzing someone's moves or a bad play over and over again. It can either make you a super star, or ruin your life if you make a bad mistake when under pressure of a championship game.

That being said, I love watching baseball and hockey live.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Anita, almost all color commentators/analysts were former players and/or coaches themselves.

6. AnitaKnapp

Yeah, I knew someone was going to say that.

I knew that, but I still don't care if they have played before. It's people like them who do nothing but talk talk talk that takes the fun out of it for me. I don't care to hear their opinions on how good they think a play is, or how they think a play should have gone.

It's still irritating, whether they were former players or coaches or not. They perpetuate everything I hate about sports every single time they open their mouths.

7. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

Honestly, there are a ton of commentators out there that get on my nerves but without them sport is nothing. There's a reason some of these guys go into the hall of fame as announcers. People always remember Jack Buck's home run calls...specifically Ozzie Smith's homer in the NLCS in 1985 or Kirk Gibson's homer off Eckersley in the 1988 World Series. Those calls become classics and without them the big plays are less meaningful.

Watching sport is no different then watching a television show or a movie. People try and make fun of me for watching "fake"wrestling but its a soap opera for men...its not different then wathcing General Hospital or Modern Family on television. Entertainment is entertainment. Some people like sports and some don't. If you don't that's fine...there's nothing wrong with that. But dont bitch about me discussing it in chat...if you dont like it then dont pay attention to it.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

One of my biggest gripes is . . . well a few people in this thread :)

People who act all "What's the big deal hur hur" because it's not a valid argument nor does it actually give us anything to discuss. Why do people like to paint? Why do people like architecture? Why do people enjoy fashion? All of them have the same answer. You either like something or you don't.

That being said, the worst thing about sports is Joe Buck. He needs to kill himself.

9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

The only reason I would not like a sport is because that sport would not appeal to me for whatever reason. It may be the format the sport is played in or the rules would be complicated to me etc.

I think it's a matter of preference for people who would like sports. Many people think it's just a bunch of guys running around chasing a ball/puck/whatever. But everything is a lot more involved when you look into it. I guess you just have to be able to enjoy it. Any time you get into something, there's bound to be some emotion that's gonna come out of it.

10. AnitaKnapp

You may like the commentators, and that is fine. I do not. I think that they take away all the fun and entertainment value by endlessly analyzing plays, players, stats, whatever.

And that's stupid! I can bitch about discussing sports if you can bitch about me not liking commentators....so there! haha