What do you collect?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I was looking around the collectors corner and couldn't find this anywhere. Kind of shocking considering that this is the most basic thread we could have in this section.

So I'll pose the very simple question. What do you collect?

As for me I collect a few things.

-Coins - Been collecting these since I was very young. I've recently moved my entire collection over to archival quality folders. I collect only American coins really. The oldest one I've got is an 1869 CC Minted Morgan Silver Dollar. I've been collecting for years and have a whole bunch of unique pieces of history in my collection (even have an original WWII memorial dedication pin that I consider to be a part of my collection). A 1999 painted Liberty Dollar is another really cool one that I've got.

-Video Games - This collection was formed sort of unintentionally, but over the years it's grown to be rather substantial. I've gut stuff like Original NES, most Zelda games in near mint condition, Sega Genesis, a few rare games, etc. One day I'm gonna post a picture of the entire collection (I took photos a while back, but I can't find them, I'll just take new pictures)

Those are the only two things that I really consider to be things that I actually collect. I could have listed old computer parts, but most people consider that to be junk. :lol:

What about you? What do you collect? Do you enjoy it?

Last edited:

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
DVD's, video games and books. Also knives.
Knives?

You're one of two people I know that collects knives. (I assume it's pretty rare) What kinds of knives? This other guy I know has upwards of 50-75 and has them in all shapes and sizes (my favorite of his has three separate blades)

I guess that you could somewhat make the argument that I collect books as well. I'm not constantly adding to the collection or anything, but I've always got my eye open. If I find the right deal I will buy, simple as that.

Didn't you at one point post something along the lines of a Pixar collection?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Oh yeah I collect Pixar crap too. Books, DVD's, toys, figurines etc.

I say I collect knives, and I do. But I don't have many yet. They are hard for me to come by so I only have 3 so far. I don't want just any type of knife though, I want really interesting ones which is why I find them hard to find.

This is what I have so far.

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
Bottle caps! I've been collecting them since I was really really young. I kinda stopped for a while but lately have been collecting more often.

That's about it. I was going to collect the Presidential dollar coins but then they stopped making them. I collected all the new State quarters too.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Bottle caps! I've been collecting them since I was really really young. I kinda stopped for a while but lately have been collecting more often.

That's about it. I was going to collect the Presidential dollar coins but then they stopped making them. I collected all the new State quarters too.
The presidential dollar coin program definitely isn't over. They ran it from 2007-2011 by putting the coins into circulation, 2012-2016 (possibly 2017) are to be made only for collectors.

You can still find them around though. I must have 100 of them that I received as tips from my time at Sonic drive in. I should check them and see if any of them are from the collectors years.

Aren't the "new state quarters" technically territory quarters? You've got stuff like Puerto Rico and Samoa on those right?

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
The presidential dollar coin program definitely isn't over. They ran it from 2007-2011 by putting the coins into circulation, 2012-2016 (possibly 2017) are to be made only for collectors.

You can still find them around though. I must have 100 of them that I received as tips from my time at Sonic drive in. I should check them and see if any of them are from the collectors years.

Aren't the "new state quarters" technically territory quarters? You've got stuff like Puerto Rico and Samoa on those right?
Oh no kidding? I was reading about them last year and I thought it said they were putting a stop to it because people weren't taking to them. But it was probably what you said and only for collectors or whatever.

Not sure about Samoa, Puerto Rico and all those territories. I haven't seen them but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I thought it was only the States but I can safely say I don't know for sure.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Oh no kidding? I was reading about them last year and I thought it said they were putting a stop to it because people weren't taking to them. But it was probably what you said and only for collectors or whatever.

Not sure about Samoa, Puerto Rico and all those territories. I haven't seen them but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I thought it was only the States but I can safely say I don't know for sure.
Yeah, people weren't taking to them, that's correct (I have 100 and never spent one, :lol:). I think it's a good thing that they stopped mass producing them to the point that they can be put into circulation. You know the U.S. Mint though (Actually there are 3 of them), once they start a program they finish it.

As for the Puerto Rico and Samoa Quarters: The United States Mint About The Mint

Looks like they actually did all of these in 2009 (shows me how long it's been since I've been actively collecting coins and researching)

-D.C.
-Puerto Rico
-Guam
-Samoa
-Virgin Islands
-Mariana Islands

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I think the only thing I can say I have a collection of is tools. I don't throw out tools, and I've been gathering a collection of tools ever since I was like 8. I definitely have a lot of additions to my collection planned, once I get my own place. There are a number of power tools I would love to have. So when people ask me for help with things, I have the right tools. Generally the right tool is the only thing stopping me from being of help in some situations, so I hope to ever expand my tool collection so I can be helpful in every situation.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I think the only thing I can say I have a collection of is tools. I don't throw out tools, and I've been gathering a collection of tools ever since I was like 8. I definitely have a lot of additions to my collection planned, once I get my own place. There are a number of power tools I would love to have. So when people ask me for help with things, I have the right tools. Generally the right tool is the only thing stopping me from being of help in some situations, so I hope to ever expand my tool collection so I can be helpful in every situation.
That's really cool Danny. Makes me feel like a selfish jerk that everything I collect is for personal/selfish reasons. :lol:

I imagine that one day I'll have lots of tools (as every man should). I like to help people too, but I'm really not of much use when I try to help people with building/repair projects.

You did say that you were handy with machinery, so I guess it is a safe assumption that you're generally good with your hands and mechanical things in general. I wish I was like that, but I'm not. Certainly I can do things like that, I'm just nothing special.