• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

what do u think when people use gay,faggot,queer as insults

david17

like when people say 'gay boy' 'your gay' as an insult. or 'hey faggot' to their friends or to people they dont know or dont like.sometimes i hear and see queer as a insult too .do you think that all or most of them are being homophobic when they say these things.
have any of you heard these things where you are and know if the people are homophobic or not.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I hear it all the time. Usually when people say "that's so gay" they're just being insensitive or thoughtless. Gay isn't a bad thing and the use of the word as a pejorative needs to stop.

Faggot to me is on the same level as the N-word. It's hateful.

Queer, on the other hand, is embraced by some in the gay community. One of my best friends is a lesbian and she refers to herself as queer, in fact if I can ever get her to stick around here you'll see her around as qweerblue. But sometimes the word queer is used as a slur.

I think that yes, people who use slurs against gay people are homophobic. People fear or are uncomfortable with what they don't understand.

Dabs

Registered Member
Calling someone a fag or faggot is very rude and disrespectful.
That is the most awful "F" word anyone can use......it ranks in the same category as the "N" word....(n*gg*r).

9thEcho

Registered Member
I'm not sure how it is everywhere else, but around where I am if something is stupid it's automatically gay. That attitude has become so ingrained I don't think it's likely to change any time soon.

The thing is, no one seems to realise it's actually offensive any more. I had a friend who said that on regular basis, and yeah, almost every time he'd apologise to me and say 'you know what I mean, right?', but he still said it despite me asking him not to. Having your sexuality become synonymous with stupidity isn't really a pleasant experience to be submitted to on a daily basis, or at all.

Faggot is nothing short of disgusting, I can't stand hearing someone being called that even if it's between good friends who mean nothing bad by it.

As for queer, I'd have to agree that's actually quite commonly used in the gay community. Even outside of that, around here it seems to be a more socially acceptable way of saying gay, if that makes any sense at all. I've rarely heard it used as an insult.

If someone says things like that then I'd probably have to say they're homophobic on some level.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I don't see any problem with these words as long as they are not really meant when said. We say "whore/slut/your mom" all the time to each other but we don't really mean that. So it goes the same with "gay/faggot.."etc.
I see no big deal.

Impact

V.I.P.
I think a lot of people who use terms like "That's so gay" aren't necessarily homophobic, but just copying what they've heard. It's so ingrained into younger people today, they probably don't even know it's offensive. But in saying that, it doesn't mean that it isn't wrong and that gay people can't get offended over it. I know I used to say it, without realising the negative effects it had, until the member here Iris let me know how offensive it was to her. It was until then I actually started thinking about the negative connotations it has.

I agree with what has already been said about faggot. I've only ever heard it used in hateful ways, except really old school people who use it to describe bundles of sticks.

I can't really comment on queer as I very rarely hear that term used. But it does seem more accepted by the gay community. Just look at shows titled "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I've never been one to believe in the serious power of words. We're all responsible for taking them how we want to, meaning if you get insulted, it's a choice, etc. That being said, I'm also quite against gay bashing and it should be incredibly shameful that this country is still debating gay rights.

I think both words (gay, faggot) are losing some steam lately. I don't think they're used as a way to demean gays by about 70% at least of people who use them. Unfortunately, the words have become insult staples. I think if they want to make headway in this battle, homosexuals should worry about something else to be honest.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I'm a word vacuum, and the pejorative use of "gay" has become part of my lexicon. I know it's pretty gay, but I can't help it. I've just heard it so much it slips out without me even knowing I said it. I have a gay friend who uses "straight" as a pejorative, though, which I find pretty funny. So, you know, either way.

Dabs

Registered Member
As for gay...that doesn't bother me, like most here have said....I hear friends call each other that, or make funnies and say "Oh, you're so damn gay" ~LoL~
And queer...well......we're all a bit queer, wouldn't you agree??
Queer actually means eccentric.....different....a bit strange or odd......I myself fit into that category :)

Dekzper

Registered Member
This is a little confusing cause David said:
like when people say 'gay boy' 'your gay' as an insult. or 'hey ****' to their friends or to people they dont know or dont like.
Then Dabs said:
Calling someone a **** or **** is very rude and disrespectful.

But all I keep seeing is 4 asterisks. I do see the words "gay" and "queer" though so the asterisks must be something that's the same but worse.
Well, dunno if calling someone 4 asterisks or 4 asterisks is bad but I will say this:
It's only words. I mean, if I use words like that and someone gets offended, I'll stop using them so they dont have to hear it. But yeah, they can cause probs. Even just verbal bashing has caused some people to off themselves and that's def NOT good. But people really should not be so sensitive to words. I mean, I'm bi and if someone calls me gay or queer (or worse), i'm like, whatever, get over it. But I'm with Constantine about the "backward" country thing. I just dont get why my own country cant get over the fact that people are human and should not be bashed just because they are.

Omg! I just noticed David17's a noob - only 1 post!
Welcome to the crazy universe of GF! We have an awesome group here! You should start an intro thread!

Last edited: