What do the far left and the far right agree on?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Babe_Ruth, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I took this thread idea from another forum. Since the Right and the Left seem to disagree a lot here on the forums, I was curious on what you guys agree on.

Discuss

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Legalization of marijuana.

pro2A likes this.
  3. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

There are people on each side that agree with the legalization of it, but I'm not sure I'd say it's something that in general the sides agree on.

Other than the obvious things (felonies are bad), I'm not sure how much both sides agree on.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Well it seems like everybody HERE agrees with legalization (or at least decriminalization), and thought that's what he was asking. I know conservatives are generally against it.

5. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

When GWB was in office, the far left believed that we shouldn't be spending money we don't have, a president shouldn't be playing golf while people are dying in war and presenting an opposing and critical view is a good thing.

The right believes in all of those things also. I always have, always will believe in those things.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    Sim likes this.
  6. Sim

Sim Registered Member

As long as we're not talking about extremists, I think most people on all sides of the political spectrum believe in a few basic rules that allow our political system and society to work: That there are basic rights everybody is entitled to, that the political leadership should be determined in free and fair elections, and that there is freedom of speech. Basically, the values that are mentioned as a basis for the political system in the Constitutions of the respective countries.

Although some put more emphasis on certain rights than on others, and some criticize certain aspects of the electoral system as it is, although some put more emphasis on negative rights (liberties the individual enjoys to be protected from the government) and others put more emphasis on positive rights and democracy (collective decision making through the government), I think the general values are shared by everybody -- at least I don't think anybody here would reject the idea there should be free and fair elections, or deny the necessity for a protection of liberties like freedom of speech or habeas corpus.

Then you only have radical fringe people who reject these values alltogether, be it neo-Nazis, communists, theocrats or other kinds of extremists, but they aren't numerous.

Also, there are some who don't care when "their" President severely violated these basic rights, possible because they don't even know about it. But I think if they really knew what was going on, they'd criticize that too.

CaptainObvious likes this.
  7. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Y'know, at first I agreed with that sentiment, but now I'm not so sure. Are we basically arguing that every war time president should have no recreational activities for however long they're president? That seems unreasonable.

8. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I agree with you. It's just been reported that Obama has played the same amout of golf in his first 9 months in office that Bush played after 2 years and 10 months in office. I have no problem with it, I don't see anything wrong with the president taking time off to play golf. Good for him.

What I do object to is one of Fahrenhiet 9/11's premises was Bush was playing too much golf to notice all that was going on leading up to 9/11. I just wonder if Michael Moore is doing the same thing about the war, our national debt, our economy, etc..and Obama playing golf.
    ------
    To answer the OP I have to say Sim put it pretty well. I think generally both the Left and the Right in America agree on basic human rights, believe in due process and democracy, I think the very large majority of Americans believe in fairness. Most of the disagreements arise from a different way to achieve a lot of those things.

For example, the majority of Americans believe that we need to make our healthcare more accessible. The difference is in how to achieve that end. Most agree that reform is needed, just how to reform it is the difference.

9. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I don't understand the psychology of why we can't seem to agree on much of anything. The legalization of marijuana is a good example. To me that comes does to individual freedoms. But, it seems the far left often want to use tax code to discourage individual freedoms. What you eat, what you drive, what you do with your land. I just really don't get what the different thinking between left and right that we would see things so differently on issues of policy.

10. Clever

Clever Registered Member

Definately the legalization of marijuna! LOL.