Question What difference would it make, if the world were Atheist?

Mickiel

Registered Member
I am curious about this question, which is of course speculation in its nature. But what effect would this have on the world? Would we be better off? Why? What changes would there be and in what areas? Would it change our educational system? Would it change politics? Would religion exist, and if so how and why?

Would it change relationships between people? Would it change how we raise our family? Religion is blamed for so much these days, would those dynamics it is blamed for not exist in an Atheist society; like War and corruption?

If the business generated by Theism was extracted and removed, could Atheism fill those gaps?

How would an Atheist society affect Science and Philosophy?

End the war between Atheist and Theist, remove Theism totally, and what strengths does Atheism have that could pace the future?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
War and corruption would still exist even without religion. It can be easy to find something to fight about and we would still have greedy people.

People's relationships would be another thing. Maybe people would not be getting married, who knows really because people were getting married even before Christ.

Science would have progressed much further I think because at times religion held them back. I'm not saying necessarily for the good.

People wouldn't be getting stoned to death for adultery and other such crimes against Islam and I doubt people would have been burnt at the stake for witchcraft. I'm sure something else would have taken its place though.

Without the bible as a guide some archeology discoveries might not have been made like the city of Troy. Then again there might have still been a record of it.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
There are those that believe Theism is used as a means to control and weakens people's minds. They see theism as illogical because it's unable to be proven scientifically.

I think many people are so negative about the things that religious people have done wrong that they won't see the good things that have come from Theism.

People's relationships would be another thing. Maybe people would not be getting married, who knows really because people were getting married even before Christ.
Marriage was created by God long before the time of Christ so of course people were getting married before Christ.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I don't want to live in a world that's either totally theist or totally atheist. That would be a fresh kind of hell.

The world would be no better off under either ideological regime. We would still have hatred and violence, those who aren't rich will still have no ready access to education or healthcare or equal rights, and vapid reality shows would be as predominant as they are now.

Nothing would be better. Nothing. Why? Because human beings are still in the picture, and we will always find some new and unusual ways to be shitty to one another. It's in our nature, and unless we can change our nature then that will always be the case.

Mickiel

Registered Member
War and corruption would still exist even without religion. It can be easy to find something to fight about and we would still have greedy people.

Science would have progressed much further I think because at times religion held them back. I'm not saying necessarily for the good.

People wouldn't be getting stoned to death for adultery and other such crimes against Islam and I doubt people would have been burnt at the stake for witchcraft. I'm sure something else would have taken its place though.

Without the bible as a guide some archeology discoveries might not have been made like the city of Troy. Then again there might have still been a record of it.

I understand, but in theory, can you build a case for Atheism being the best way for humanity? Atheist request proof of God, lets say I am requesting proof of Atheism being the future of humanity. Can you show that humanity would benefit from it and why?

How would Atheism rally humanity? How would it give humanity motivation and hope?
------
I don't want to live in a world that's either totally theist or totally atheist. That would be a fresh kind of hell.

The world would be no better off under either ideological regime. We would still have hatred and violence, those who aren't rich will still have no ready access to education or healthcare or equal rights, and vapid reality shows would be as predominant as they are now.

Nothing would be better. Nothing. Why? Because human beings are still in the picture, and we will always find some new and unusual ways to be shitty to one another. It's in our nature, and unless we can change our nature then that will always be the case.

I am open for suggestion of a new way. Why not give a speculation of you're new world?

Last edited:

MedicineShow

Registered Member
I'm an Atheist, but I never see the world as being completely without belief in higher powers. I believe the existence of them is to defeat our nature and continue civilization, so although I will never believe, I do believe we get good things from religion. A lot of hate and violence along with it, of course, but you can't have one without the other.

Mickiel

Registered Member
I'm an Atheist, but I never see the world as being completely without belief in higher powers. I believe the existence of them is to defeat our nature and continue civilization, so although I will never believe, I do believe we get good things from religion. A lot of hate and violence along with it, of course, but you can't have one without the other.

Are you then suggesting that a world of Atheism would not defeat our nature, and have no hate and violence?

MedicineShow

Registered Member
Are you then suggesting that a world of Atheism would not defeat our nature, and have no hate and violence?
Yes and no. Morality would still exist on some level, but it wouldn't be a lifestyle. As an Atheist, I do hold some values, but some are far from traditional. The values society expects are rooted in old world belief systems, and although progress has been made, much of the secular world still comes from religion. I believe, as a species, we have reached the edge of our evolution. Religion offers a way to continue civilization. But no, we would not defeat our nature. The sermon is of survival, not of salvation.

Yes, hate and violence would exist, but not on the same scale. What you have to realize, though, is that our perspective s on things like murder would be entirely different. We may still deem it wrong, but not for the same reasons. Following a law because a god told you to and following a law for the good of humanity are two different things. But much of the extremism we see in the world today wouldn't exist if religious documents weren't there to misinterpret.

Mickiel

Registered Member
Yes and no. Morality would still exist on some level, but it wouldn't be a lifestyle. As an Atheist, I do hold some values, but some are far from traditional. The values society expects are rooted in old world belief systems, and although progress has been made, much of the secular world still comes from religion. I believe, as a species, we have reached the edge of our evolution. Religion offers a way to continue civilization. But no, we would not defeat our nature. The sermon is of survival, not of salvation.

Yes, hate and violence would exist, but not on the same scale. What you have to realize, though, is that our perspective s on things like murder would be entirely different. We may still deem it wrong, but not for the same reasons. Following a law because a god told you to and following a law for the good of humanity are two different things. But much of the extremism we see in the world today wouldn't exist if religious documents weren't there to misinterpret.

What about Atheism would reduce extremism?

And how could Atheism improve world values?