What did you want to be when you grew up? Are you doing it?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Are you doing what you wanted to do with your life? When you look back and reflect, did you take the right steps to achieve your goals or did you change your goals?

I’ve heard that by the 5th or 6th grade, if you can answer the question of what you want to do when you grow up, a lot of people end up doing just that. (With the exception of the idealists who want to be academy award winning actors or the next Steve Jobs.)

For me, I wanted to produce movies. I’m working on getting into that, but in the real world I work mostly in digital marketing, advertising, and social media. I run two companies, NURV and PopMalt.

So what about you? Are you living the dream or hitting the grind?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have always wanted to be a sports broadcaster while growing up. However, now I work for a pretty big department in the Canadian Government. I have advanced a great deal in the last couple of years. I love what I do because I can see what happens behind the scenes so to speak. Therefore, to answer your question, I am definitely not doing what I wanted to do while growing up.

Impaired

Registered Member
I wanted to be an astronaut. By the time I was 14, I was too tall. I turned to computers and currently, I get to work with NASA and other space agencies on a consultant basis, which isn't as cool as going into space but makes me happy.

I love what I do - I solve problems for people and when my job is done there are happy people in my wake.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a judge. When I was in college, I decided on becoming an accountant, and at some point I changed my major to Economics and graduated with an Economics degree. I started working in the insurance industry and worked on my MBA at night. After doing that for about 7 years, I decided to go to law school. So I eventually got into the field I wanted to get into, but right now I have no desire to run for office. I wouldn't mind being a judge, and I may become a municipal judge soon, but I do not want to run for public office, I have no desire for that grind.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I always wanted to own a business and I've owned many. I currently have a engineering job designing electrical transmission lines which pays well. Also an part owner of a janitorial business and I own a wood crafting business. I have a CNC machine in my garage that carves wood. Of everything designing and working with wood is my favorite and would like to do that full time eventually.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a professional wrestler because I was just a fanatic of the larger than life personas such as Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, The Rock and Stone Cold. So I went to wrestling school and quickly found out that I didn't have the drive or the passion for it because of the amount of pain it takes on your body and nothing is really guaranteed career wise. I ended up at university at the behest of my parents because I was a lost soul, ended up doing a diploma in business administration and graduated with a bachelors in human resources management and industrial relations. Did a few temp jobs here and there over the years and have been working at Woolworths Inc as a pick packer for the last 10 years. So nope didn't follow my dream if anything and I got lazy and content along the way.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
At first, I wanted to be a journalist. Mostly in sports. I also wanted to be a wrestler when I was younger. But life made me realize that I didn't have the look of a wrestler (I'm 5'3") ...And for the journalist part, I also realized that I didn't necessarily had the temper to be a good journalist. So I turned to translating instead.

I kinda realized my wrestling dream though when I got involved in a small local promotion around 15 years ago but that lasted for about 18 months. For while it lasted, it was a blast.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
At first, I wanted to be a journalist. Mostly in sports. I also wanted to be a wrestler when I was younger. But life made me realize that I didn't have the look of a wrestler (I'm 5'3") ...And for the journalist part, I also realized that I didn't necessarily had the temper to be a good journalist. So I turned to translating instead.

I kinda realized my wrestling dream though when I got involved in a small local promotion around 15 years ago but that lasted for about 18 months. For while it lasted, it was a blast.
What did you find challenging when you were in your small local promotion? I learnt straight away that no one gets into wrestling "for fun" lol with the amount of bumps one takes, you really have to love the bloody sport haha

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Well, I was in the creative team (which consisted of me and the booker/promoter/top star lol) so I really did it because it was a dream of mine ever since I was a teenager. The most challenging part is to deal with everyone in a locker room. You gotta come in there with the knowledge that 1/3 of the boys will like you, 1/3 of the boys will hate you and 1/3 will suck up to you to get a better booking. Once you know that, you can handle almost anything lol

The coolest part was clearly the days we booked Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn on our show. It was way before they even got the spotlight in the United States and it was surreal. Both are really nice guys.