• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What did you read in school?

dDave

V.I.P.
What did you read in school?

And no lies, I'm sure none of you actually read your textbooks for your various classes. ;)

I mostly hated the stuff I had to read in middle and high school. Didn't read much of anything in college for assigned coursework. The weird thing is that I like reading but don’t really appreciate a lot of classic literature.

Here’s what I can remember.

Stuff I liked
-Catch 22
-Brave New World
-The Odyssey
-Tale of Two Cities
-The Hobbit

Stuff I hated
-The Oedipus Cycle
-The Inferno (the single hardest to read book ever written)
-Like Water for Chocolate
-The Sound and the Fury (Faulkner was one messed up dude)
-The Good Earth
-Heart of Darkness
-The Metamorphosis
-The Stranger
-Their Eyes Were Watching God
-Huckleberry Finn (nope, not a fan)
-Romeo and Juliet (actually a very disturbing story)
-Twelfth Night
-The Good Earth
-Animal Farm
-Frankenstein
-Life of Pi

And the worst book of them all. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. I actually like Franklin as a person, generally speaking, but his autobiography is trash.

What did you guys read in school? What was your opinion of it all?

Last edited:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I liked Animal Farm and Lord is the Flies. Horrible stories but they give you a ton to think about.

I also read Schindler’s List and walked away with plenty to think about as well. Similar to the movie but different. Worth reading.

I liked Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

I can’t think of many things I had to read and didn’t like. I guess Frankenstein was a swing and a miss for me.

I got to choose some of the books I read too for various book reports. Jurassic Park was easily a solid choice for one of those times. 🦖

dDave

V.I.P.
I appreciate Orwell on a philosophical level. I never liked his actual writing though. I enjoy reading ABOUT his stuff but not actually reading it. I’ve read Animal Farm and 1984.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
One textbook I liked to read when I was in high school was my American History textbook when I was a Junior. The part about World War Two was interesting to me.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I can't remember all the books I had to read in school, but I do remember the ones I actually enjoyed at the time...

Lord of the Flies
The Catcher in the Rye
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Color Purple
To Kill a Mockingbird

I was also able to choose a few of the books I read, they were usually Stephen King novels. Haha.