• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Game Cube What did you like/dislike About Wind Waker

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Let me start of by saying that I absolutly LOVED Wind Waker.

I though the graphics were perfect for the game. Alot of people didnt like the cel-shaded graphics. I loved it. It was like something I imagined back when I was young. The Moblins looked awsome, as did most of the enemies. The water effects were pretty cool too. The game also had a great story line.

Thing I didnt like: The game was short on dungeons... they even stated that dungeons were cut out because they didnt want to delay the title again, this was also durring a time when Nintendo promised fewer delays, they held up on WW, but the game suffered for it in the end... Tedious Sailing... while fun for a while, and just as its starting to get old, you get a warp song basically... but there is still too much open sailing, and the warp points sometimes dont even get you close to where you want to be. If it wasnt for the tedious sailing, and the lack of dungeons, this game would rank up there with LttP in my mind as the best Zelda Game Ever!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Hmm, where to start. I guess I'll start with the graphics. I admit, the graphics were very nicely done. However, I don't think the cartoony style and Zelda go together very well. Same thing with the sound effects. It's obvious the game was geared toward younger gamers even though the hardcore fans who have been with the series since the beginning are all over 20 years old. That kinda pissed me off a little.

The game was way too easy. The average enemy did very little damage, usually taking away just 1/4 of a heart.

Not enough dungeons, and the ones that were there were poorly designed. I hate the ones where you have to drag a partner along with you the whole time. Bosses weren't very creative. Not enough variety of enemies. They were all very boring and tedious to fight.

Sailing. I hated it. I like exploring land, not a huge ocean with lots of tiny islands, most of which are pointless. Would have been better if there were two or three big continents separated by ocean and maybe a small island here or there.

Too much stuff to collect...skull necklaces, joy pendants, chu-chu jelly, etc. I don't think any of that stuff was mandatory, but still, Zelda has never been about collecting meaningless crap. The treasure maps were extremely gay. 90% of them led to rupees. "Oh sweet, 100 rupees, can't find these anywhere!" :rolleyes:

Tingle sucks. Finding the triforce pieces sucked. I could go on forever.

I know I was hard on Wind Waker, but that's because I expected great things from it. Is it a good game? Yes. One of the best games for Gamecube? Yes, but that's not saying much. Good Zelda game? Hell no. One of the worst in the series, if not THE worst.

I agree with Mr. Buckeye for the most part, except sailing. Personally, I loved the sailing. During the day, that epic adventure music plays and you feel really free. I also enjoyed seeing the little waves in the ocean and wisps of air flying by you. And sailing at night was good fun too, since all you heard were the sound effects of the boat creaking and the waves crashing. Very immersive.

dk_rare

Registered Member
The sailing was a good idea, it just bored me a little bit. But it was still a very good idea, also forgetting where I was meant to go next... and then having to SAIL there

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
Not enough dungeons, and the ones that were there were poorly designed. I hate the ones where you have to drag a partner along with you the whole time. Bosses weren't very creative. Not enough variety of enemies. They were all very boring and tedious to fight.
As I have already stated, I was dissapointed in the lack of dungeons...
Though I thought the partnered dungeons were AWSOME.. the only part that sucked about it was having to use a song to make the switch all the time. If you didnt have to conduct every time you made a switch it would have made it alot better. One thing that really didnt help durring those stages... Wallmaster's

BOSSES NOT CREATIVE?!??!

How so. Please tell me this... Useing the grappling hook to pull the celing of the room onto the boss... not creative?

Using you Boomerang to cut the boss off the celing to be able to attack it... not creative?

Whacking a GIANT bird with a GIANT hammer to break its mask... not creative?

Shining light onto a ghost with your shiled to make it vunerable... not creative?

The whole Gannon battle... Not creative?

Please, there was pleanty creativity about it... sure some of the bosses were pushovers... but that doesnt mean in any way they were not creative!

Enemies in the overworld have always been pushovers... really, give me a example of the overworld enemies not being pushovers in ANY Zelda game?

If you know how to fight any overworld enemy, you will most likely never get hit. In the orinigal Zelda... most I have to worry about it the Bosses hitting me... other than that, I can complete the whole game without losing a life..
Now in WW on the other hand... you get trapped by a couple of sharks... or make a wrong turn around a peahat... you are gonna take some damage.

Not only did Enemies look the way they should for the Zelda series, they acted in the manner they should... A few more dungeons, and a little less sailing, and this would have been the best Zelda title EVER! Only Nintendo's promise to not delay titles kept that from happening.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
SamusAran86 said:
Though I thought the partnered dungeons were AWSOME.. the only part that sucked about it was having to use a song to make the switch all the time. If you didnt have to conduct every time you made a switch it would have made it alot better.
It was annoying having one dungeon like that, but two was just totally unnecessary. I like the feeling of being on my own, me against the world, just like Metroid.

SamusAran86 said:
BOSSES NOT CREATIVE?!??!
I used the wrong word. I should have said the bosses weren't original. Most of them had been done before. The boomerang boss was basically Barinade from Ocarina of Time. There was one very similar to Queen Ghoma. And the whole Gannon thing has been done before, though I admit I wouldn't mind fighting Gannon in every Zelda game.

SamusAran86 said:
Now in WW on the other hand... you get trapped by a couple of sharks... or make a wrong turn around a peahat... you are gonna take some damage.
The sharks, and all the ocean enemies, were just plain annoying. That was one of the most frustrating parts of the game, getting knocked off your boat 10 times in a row. It was pretty cheap.

dk_rare

Registered Member
I found Windwaker to be a feast for the senses, the visual style of it was like having Jesse McCartney 10 times over and the exciting sound, brilliant settings and very exciting (and classy) action was better than having Aaron Carter over for desert.

4 stars

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
It was annoying having one dungeon like that, but two was just totally unnecessary. I like the feeling of being on my own, me against the world, just like Metroid.
I can agree with that, but haveing those little differences is what made it cool to me. sure we coulda done without the stage where you use Mako... but you gotta admit the mirror stage was just too damn cool

I used the wrong word. I should have said the bosses weren't original. Most of them had been done before. The boomerang boss was basically Barinade from Ocarina of Time. There was one very similar to Queen Ghoma. And the whole Gannon thing has been done before, though I admit I wouldn't mind fighting Gannon in every Zelda game.
sure alot of the boses are not orinigal, but so are the regular enemies... There sorta Zelda Staples... Didnt you know Ghoma oriniganated from the first Zelda? Ganons fight in Wind Waker is completly different from any Ganon fight to date... please tell me of another ganon fight that uses Zelda in batle and you stab the mofo in the head to finish him off

The sharks, and all the ocean enemies, were just plain annoying. That was one of the most frustrating parts of the game, getting knocked off your boat 10 times in a row. It was pretty cheap.
The sharks were dodgeable... but yes, if you got caught with 3 of them around you most likely will be knocked off 10 times in a row...

The Peahats were what made me mad... on the ocean they were impossible to defeat...

But I think the absolute best part of the game is a tie between Going to Hyrule and defeating Ganon

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
SamusAran86 said:
I can agree with that, but haveing those little differences is what made it cool to me. sure we coulda done without the stage where you use Mako... but you gotta admit the mirror stage was just too damn cool
I don't really remember that dungeon cause I've only played through the entire game once, but my favorite item in the Zelda series in probably the mirror shield. The one in Ocarina of Time just looks so badass. It's too bad you always get the mirror shield toward the end of every Zelda game. It'd be fun to get to use it more.

SamusAran86 said:
please tell me of another ganon fight that uses Zelda in batle and you stab the mofo in the head to finish him off
Ocarina of Time?

SamusAran86 said:
But I think the absolute best part of the game is a tie between Going to Hyrule and defeating Ganon
Going to Hyrule was amazing. Easily the best part of the game. Wasn't the music from the castle from A Link to the Past?

dk_rare

Registered Member
One thing I didn't like was when you enter any room, you can see the physics "setting in", like you can see the planks on a bridge drop slightly, jolt on the ropes, wobble a little and then stay as they are meant to, affected by the environment. It is like when you enter a room, a switch is being turned on, like all the objects are being spawned. It is great that there is enough detail for these objects to be so realistic, but we shouldn't have to SEE them spawn like that!