• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What could of been...

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I decided to post this in General Discussion because there's different categories you can pick from. There was a lot of upcoming Musicians, Actors and Atheletes that brokethrough in their repective business, and they were labeled as the next best thing, but suddenly passed away tragically. If you had to pick one up-and-coming individual that if he didn't pass he would of been considered a legend who would that person be and why pick him or her??

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
tragically*

River Phoenix. I still get sad about his death sometimes, and it was almost 17 years ago.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I realized that I did wrote it wrong and corrected it :p. Just for the sakes of discussion and me being lazy to google it who's River Phoenix and why were they so special to you??

PS: Guys like Jimi Hendrix, 2 Pac and Kurt Cobain can be considered as well.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
There are lots to choose from but I'm going to choose someone most have probably never heard of.

I'm going to pick Selena Quintanilla Perez. She was an extremely well known Latino music recording artist. She had just won a Grammy and was just recording an English album. She was just crossing over. She had a concert at the Astrodome in Houston which was completely sold out just months before she was killed at age 23. Her English album was released posthumously and it sold extremely well.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I second River Phoenix. I really believe he would have had a great career ahead of him. I will say Kurt Cobain. The man was talented beyond believe and fortunately we have a lot of good music he left behind, but it is sad to think that what there is is all there will ever be! Also, definitely Heath Ledger. I was a huge fan of most of his movies. And TDK really showed another side of his acting skill, which would have been great to see explored more in the future.

wolfheart

Registered Member
The one's that spring to mind are Aaliyah, she had a great a voice and was rather good in Romeo Must Die and I think she could have had a great career in film as well as music.
Shame she passed at 22.

The other would be Brandon Lee, his role in the Crow was very good in my mind, and it would have been interesting to see how his career panned out, would he have stuck to action films knowing that his father had such an immense effect on that genre, it would be hard to get out of his late fathers shadow or would he have stepped out into more extensive non action roles.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
River Phoenix's first notable role was in Stand By Me. He was recognized as the most promising actor of his generation. He played young Indiana Jones in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; he was also in Mosquito Coast, My Own Private Idaho, and Little Nikita.

He was Joaquin Phoenix's older brother.

Bananas

Endangered Species
One of her songs was playing as I opened this thread.

Eva Cassidy
YouTube - Eva Cassidy - Autumn Leaves

She'd probably be as big as Beyonce now is Aaliyah.

I also think John Belushi style of acting would of taken the 80's and 90's by storm had he lived.

A couple of others to consider; Otis Redding, Jim Morrison, Jeff Buckley, John Bonham, Cliff Burton....... and although it was not death that ended his career its not so much a "what could of been" but a "what should of been" and that is Syd Barrett.

jack3456

Registered Member
People like Hendrix and Cobain, like Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and James Dean, while they passed young, were probably elevated to legendary status because of it. Plus they were at the top when they died, it isn't as if nobody had heard of them. Therefore it's difficult to answer your question: if the people we say haven't yet made it, how do we know they will or would have?
I mentioned James Dean; a year after his death the movie Somebody Up There Likes Me came out, the first starring role for Paul Newman, playing along side Pier Angeli, who was engaged to Dean at the time of his death. Dean himself was supposed to have played Rocky Graziano. Anyway, in the movie Newman says to the local philosopher, who works at the soda fountain, or whatever Americans call the job, "Hey, it says here I'm a promising young middleweight!" To which the wise fellow replies, "All young people are promising. The young should be sued for breach of promise." True, and that's the real tragedy of human life. We all get old and we forget what fires we had within, what drove us when we were young. We're like used-up bangers, and when we see a shooting star hurtle across the horizon we stop, and we look, wistful and sad. Whom are we mourning, them or ourselves?

ATARIGUY

Beermister
IMHO 2 Pac and Kurt Cobain are not all that great nor are they idols or iconic or special but Nirvana did have some great tubes though.

How about Heather O'Rourke from Poltergeist who made a brief appearance on the last season of Happy Days, ??

She would have had a great movie career or TV career but tragically died at the tender age of 13.