What catches your eye?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
While buying a game what catches your eye? Meaning you've only seen a short preview of the game, it's new meaning it's not a sequel to a game.

What is usually so awesome about this game that it will make you fork up that kind of cash to buy it?

Poetosis

Registered Member
I hate to admit it, but reviews usually mean a lot for me when it comes to picking games. Knowing that a game has a list of pros and cons helps in my purchase decisions.

If my opinion came to the surface, however, it would usually be the storyline and developer that catch my eye. The former has to be there to keep me interested, and the latter emerges from different alleigances that I have formed over the years.

Fortunately, Bioware has both.

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
I'd have to say reviews as well. I learned my lesson long ago not to buy games at full retail without having tried a free demo or read reviews on it.

These days though, I only purchase games on sale. I will make an exception for Starcraft 2 and Heroes of Newerth. Only two up-and-coming games I would buy at full retail and not having read any reviews or watched beta streams.

That being said, I am usually attracted to RTS and fantasy-RPG type games.

Poetosis

Registered Member
Life makes a great point. I will only buy games on sale or preowned as well, to the extent of even trading games for others.

WesJones87

RayzorBlade87
These days, it's replay value.

If a game has a lot of replay value i.e. bonus levels, different stories, sandbox-style gameplay then it stands a good chance of getting to be on my shelf.

I have bought games based on reviews in the past that I haven't liked. Recent examples are Fallout 3 and Modern Warfare 2.

My current vice, however, is the Fable series. Fable III is one game I will probably get at full price.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
On the older systems, it was just whatever looked fun...and then I would buy every game for it I could as the system was being replaced by something newer, and the games became really cheap.

These days I basically go on recommendations from other friends. I only regret buying Resident Evil 5, and Bioshock...so I guess it's a good record so far.

Twitch

Registered Member
Commercials really help me decide on games. How the games look on television can sway my opinion on it, especially gameplay.

I have bought games based on reviews in the past that I haven't liked. Recent examples are Fallout 3 and Modern Warfare 2.
Really? You didn't like Fallout 3? Have you played the first two, are you a fan of the series? I never expected to see someone say this.

I only regret buying Resident Evil 5, and Bioshock...so I guess it's a good record so far.
That hurts to read. Haha. I didn't like Bioshock either, which is surprising, but loved RE5. What didn't you like about it? Have you played previous RE games? I think that was one of the reasons I liked it so much, I'm a HUGE fan of the series and of the story and characters.

As for how I go about it... I watch the trailers, read a few reviews, but the most important thing is whether or not the story looks good. Story is tops in my book, so if doesn't sound interesting, it doesn't get bought or rented.

And also a little of what Maikeru said. Genre and the maker of the game can be important too.

Last edited:

BigBob

Registered Member
For me, I actually steer clear of reviews because some people just find things wrong with the game because they don't like the particular developer or genre.

What I look for in a game, just to pick it up off the shelf and buy it, is character customization, environment interaction, freedom basically. Games like Fable, The Elder Scrolls, GTA San Andreas. Real time fighting needs to be involved, not turn shit.