• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What can you do with a drunken sailor...

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
...early in the morning...

I'm a hummer, and an embarrassing singer

The above title box is something I will sing or hum very often.
Other things I catch myself singing, almost as if it's an unconscious act are:

'The One and Only' - Chesney Hawkes, to my dismay picked up from my skittles team, I think I sing the chorus every day, I hate it and the man behind it for giving me such an affliction.

Re-education through Labor - Not embarrassing as it's Rise Against, but still, not good to randomly blurt out in front of people.

'What a difference a day makes' - I don't even know who sung this, but I do, quite often...

'Come fly with me' - love the song, hate that I more often than not find my shitty voice performing it and not the original man behind it

And many many more...

I don't know why I do this. It's almost automatic these days. Most people I know accept it as a quirk, and some even like it, yet I find it oddly humiliating and will often stop myself mid-tune thinking 'what the frigg are you doing?'

Anyone else a hummer, an unconscious singer, and if so what do you sing and what do you think of such behaviour?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
put him in bed with the captain's daughter

I sing all the time. So does my supervisor. The rest of the office just acknowledges it as our quirkiness, and frankly I don't give a rat's ass.

I kinda think it drives my boyfriend and my brother-in-law crazy, because I kinda don't sing very well, but again I don't give a crap.

And it embarrasses my daughter, but what kid ever wasn't embarrassed by their parents?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
There's nothing wrong with humming a tune to yourself. Myself, I never shut up when I'm alone. Sometimes I'll just end up singing a random phrase to myself. Maybe it was something I'd recently said or heard on TV. I'll sing it to any old random tune. I know often times when I'm at work, or walking down the street, I'll just start singing songs. Its usually one of the ones I'd recently heard. Sometimes though songs pop into my head that I haven't heard for ages. There's no shame in humming or singing or whistling a tune to yourself. Just means ya got the rhythm!

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I absolutely hate it when people around me whistle. It's one of the most annoying sounds I can think of. I don't mind when people hum or sing under their breath. I sometimes hum, but it's not really any particular tune. It's just something that is random most of the time.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I sing a lot. Almost similar to Zooey Deschanel in New Girl. I sing songs that exist or I sing words I meant to say (when I'm talking to someone or myself) with invented tunes. Yeah I can be annoying. :lol:

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I don't know that I ever just spontaneously break into song, but I'll sing to myself (or just out loud if alone) a fair bit. I have a handful of songs I go to, depending on what I'm in the mood for: Camptown ladies sing this song, Doo-da, Doo-da! Mostly just whatever songs I actually know a fair amount of the lyrics to, though, really.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hardly ever just start singing a song, for one thing I can't sing worth a shit so I'm sure no one would be interested in hearing me tear a good song a part. I do hum that drunken sailor song sometimes.

Wouldn't it be funny if life was like a musical. Would drive you nuts.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I hate musicals. There are a couple of exceptions, but I generally hate them. I might stab myself if life was like a musical. Although, if life was like a musical I'd probably be used to it and not hate it at all.

LOL Ysa, I love that show. Come to think of it, I do randomly sing things out that I am doing (but under my breath). If I'm being especially silly, like I sometimes do on xbox (Kay can attest to this) I will sing the things I'm doing loudly. It usually causes laugher and enjoyment, although I may be over-estimating my funny factor.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
My singing is pretty terrible, but I do hum a lot. One reacurring song that always finds its way into my mind is "everybody wants to be a cat" from the disney film The Aristocats. I have absolutely no idea why that song in particular, but it's been one of my most head-sung song for as long as I can remember.