What bands/singers have had............

Discussion in 'Music' started by Westy, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Westy

Westy Registered Member

The most influence in our music of today?

Being an old rocker myself i cant really look no futher than black sabbath.
    So many of todays metal/rock bands have sabbath undertones.
    They have totally influenced the rock scene in my opinion? :D

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I'm going to go deeper and say that blues musicians have had the most impact on music today. Blues is the roots of all rock music.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't know how you say that Black Sabbath has had a lot of influence on the music industry, but everyone has their own opinions.

I have to go with Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Elvis. They all came out with stuff that no one has heard or seen before, and just brought music to another level and ran with it. Those guys influence the music of today, it's not even funny. Do you know how many singers today looked up to MJ while growing up and all say that he influenced them, to many to count if you ask me.

4. Westy

Westy Registered Member

I was refering to Sabbath in regards to the rock/metal genre, not as a whole.
    I do agree there are alot of musicians today that say they are influenced by all you have mentioned, i also know this to be true of Sabbath too in their own genre and probably beyond ?

5. Ymir-GF

Ymir-GF Registered Member

Undoubtedly Black Sabbath has had an influence on modern rock music, but I agree that much came from the Blues and R&B, as well. Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard have also been a massive influence.

I suppose the real question is, how far do you want to go back to say so and so influenced them the most. Given that Sabbath didn't hit the scene until around 1969 they are pretty late arrivals. Aside from this a hundred bands from San Francisco also left their indelible marks. Then of course, there was the "British Invasion"... etc...

6. Doc

So no one cares that all of this music is based off of early 20th century blues musicians?

Of course you can argue that it all came from classical composers, but I'm talking the modern era. Even MJ uses blues in his music.

Jeanie likes this.
  7. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

i give credit to the ancient druids and their chants which first brought us harmonies which is important to music of all genres.

8. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

On a more contemporary note, I think the Ramones had an obvious and profound effect on today's music. Their influence can be summed up nicely by quoting Johnny Ramone's inspirational comment to Paul Simonon (of The Clash): "You don't have to be good, just get out there and play". And that is how punk-rock music was born.

:punk:

9. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I care, Steve!

Without early blues musicians, we would never have had groups like the Yardbirds, which means we wouldn't have had Led Zeppelin, which means we wouldn't have had Black Sabbath.

10. Doc

See? Someone else knows their music history.

Zeppelin = Supergruop of two major bands.