What are your views on Iraq?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by pro2A, May 3, 2007.

?

Do you think we should be in Iraq?

1. Yes, I'm 100% for the war.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but we need to finish it up soon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but I think a withdrawl date is in order

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, but we should at least finish the job

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, we need a withdrawl date soon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No, we need to get out now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I'm curious... what are everyone's views on the war in Iraq? Most people I talk to are one of two things. For or against. I don't find many in between people. I'd like to get a debate going about this war. My views are simple, we're there because Saddam violated the 17 UN resolutions that were set in place. Violation of human rights, WMD's etc... What are other peoples views? Use links for articles to back your views up.

2. fleinn

fleinn 101010

I don't really know what you're looking for here - either you think the war was unnecessary to some degree, badly planned, based on lies, unjust and badly managed - or you think the war was necessary in some respect. That the danger would be greater the longer no action was taken, that the wmds and the super- secret ebola labs were a threat, that it was the obligation of the free world to end Saddam's regime, that it was a good thing to defend the Iraqi people, and give them an opportunity for freedom, etc.

But there still hasn't been a real debate in the US about the validity of any of these points. And now the argument seems to be that "since we're there, everyone should support whatever is being done since we're there now". So I guess I understand your frustration... ;)

The reason I'm against the war is this, though. It's because the entire invasion is based on the idea that a country, through it's sheer power, can facilitate (favourable) change in a country with the use of force. Or in other words, it's based on the idea that "we" can presume to do good things, even though we are doing very bad things. That tyranny would work out fairly good, if only we bless it with our great powers of goodness. And the very thought is simply offensive.

edit: you should have an option in the poll saying "I've got a plan, you son of a bitch. We need a time- machine so we can go back and tell you to fucking listen to what I bloody told you ahead of the goddamn war!!". Or something similar.

3. pro2A

I'm curious as to what people think about the war. Is it needed? For whatever reasons. I'm curious what others views are on it. I guess what I'm trying to get at is if people support it for whatever reason. Some people do not support it at all, where others really think its a grand idea...

4. LS1nut

LS1nut Guest

Yes one thousand percent..........and I have no problem with a withdrawl date that only the President, the top military commanders, and the "need to know" congress knows about.

There is no need for the media and the entire country and world to know about a withdrawl date.

5. SgtCrom

SgtCrom Registered Member

Nothing to say.

6. Jabato

Jabato Guest

Folks, I'm not sure if this thread is for US people only.

7. Duke1985

Duke1985 EatsApplePieShitsFreedom

I'm postive you can voice your opinon, US citzen or not.

8. pro2A

My friend is a 1st Lt. in the 82nd Airborne and he told me that when they originally went into Iraq the commanders said in order to stomp Iraq and the terrorist insurgents they would need to land half a million troops. The politicians didn't listen and we landed a little under 200k. Therefore we are in the perdiciment we're in now. This is really the only thing Bush has done that i dont agree with. I think thru the whole war this is the only thing he really messed up on. If we landed 500k troops on the first day I strongly believe this war wouldnt be as messy at it is today.

9. I agree. We were misled into believing that there were WMD's, among other fallacies.

Again, I agree. If he is not going to send over enough troops to get the job done now, and done correctly and completely, then bring our troops home now!!!!

10. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

I have always strongly supported the decision to invade, and still think it was the right one. IMO, the WMD issue was a convenient excuse, something analogous to putting Al Capone away for tax evasion. Of course, like virtually everyone else in the world I believed that Saddam did have them, but I never bought that they threatened the US in any way. The reason I supported the invasion was to remove a brutal dictator who wasn't going to be forced from power any other way. It may be painful, but I believe we have an obligation to clean up the messes we made during the Cold War. Furthermore, I wholeheartedly agree with Tony Blair's comments last year in LA that the success of democracy in Iraq will be a devastating blow to Islamic extremists.

As far as the way the war's been managed, I think SgtCrom's said all that needs to be said.

So if we were misled, where's the evidence that Bush knew that Saddam in fact had no WMD's?