• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What are your thoughts on abortion

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What are your thoughts on abortion? Are you someone that is pro-life or pro-choice? Are you someone that is pro-choice till a few weeks/months, then you become pro-life?

Thoughts?

Personally, I'm more pro-choice than pro-life. A friend of mine got an abortion when she was 16 mostly because she wasn't ready to have a child and her family didn't approve of her relationship but we never spoke about that among us because that was her choice and none of our business. I totally understand for a rape victim to get an abortion because of the traumatic event that lead to this situation. In the end, we must respect the women who are making those decisions, regardless of the reasons why.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I'm both, in a sense. I do think women should have a choice. but I do hope it's used as a last resort. I'd rather we save babies by educating men and women, or boys and girls, about various contraceptives they can use. I'd rather prevent the pregnancy than end one. personally, I don't know if I could do it. but you never know. if I was raped, I probably could. but if I participated in consensual sex with a man, I'd either keep the baby or put the little shit machine up for adoption.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I'm in favor of it. I'd rather a woman get an abortion than leave a child in foster care to be abused and raised in poverty. Of course, I'm not in favor of it being used as a method for birth control i.e. getting pregnant and running off to get an abortion every time... which I don't think most women would do anyways just because of costs and the mental anguish/exhaustion that accompanies abortions. I can understand when pro-lifers say they're against it, but what I don't understand is when they go out of their way to get abortions banned or even resort to killing doctors. If you're morally against it, don't get an abortion. But don't try to take that right away from others. An abortion is a private matter between a woman and her physician; and aside from the father of the child, no one else has any right to butt into that. Personally speaking, if I were to get pregnant, I'd probably never have an abortion, but I'd still like to have that option on the table. Being pro-choice doesn't mean you HAVE to get an abortion - the word choice is right there on the tin.

Oh and fun fact - Norma McCorvey, the Jane Roe from Roe v. Wade is now an adamant pro-lifer, who sits outside abortion clinics and chastises the women going in for the procedure. Funny how she fought tooth and nail for the right to an abortion when she needed it the most, but has no problem taking that same right away from others. The irony and hypocrisy there is just... brewed to a perfection.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Pro-Choice. Mother raped, health issues of the mother or health issues of the child... many other factors that would pretty much leave the child living in a horrible situation. Sure, there's adoption for some of those cases. I still think people should have the freedoms of choice. We were given free will to be able to make choices.

DarthAlexander

I believe it's a woman's right to choose but what really bothers me is when it happens multiple times. I talked to a girl once who had 3 by the time I had talked to her (and this was in high school!). I couldn't believe it. Smarten up already.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
HIJKay said:
I'm both, in a sense. I do think women should have a choice. but I do hope it's used as a last resort. I'd rather we save babies by educating men and women, or boys and girls, about various contraceptives they can use. I'd rather prevent the pregnancy than end one. personally, I don't know if I could do it. but you never know. if I was raped, I probably could. but if I participated in consensual sex with a man, I'd either keep the baby or put the little shit machine up for adoption.
I don't want to get too into it, because this is a very sensitive and controversial topic, but this post here sort of sums up how I feel.

On the first day of one of my graduate school classes, the teacher asked us how many were "Pro-Life" and how many were "Pro-Choice." There were 18 in the class and I was the only one who was "Pro-Life." I won't lie, I was a little appalled by that. My perspective is that if you engage in consensual sexual intercourse and you get pregnant, or you impregnate someone, then you should have to live with the consequences, whether that is having the child as your own or putting him/her up for adoption. That's exactly what I told the professor that day in class.

On the topic of rape, though, I do feel like in that case you should have the right to an abortion. But the hard part there can be proving that you were raped.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Yeah, I agree with you. But I think that should a choice the woman makes. Personally, I'd keep the kid because it was my own damn fault. But if another woman had sex with a man and decided to have an abortion, I don't think we should stop her. I'd hope she would choose to own up to the responsibility, but again, she should choose to.

I think people should stop focusing on abortion and start focusing on higher standards for sex education. in high school they need to teach kids about STDs and pregnancies and contraceptives. How to use the contraceptives. If a kid wants to have sex, they will find a way. I'd rather they be safe and prevent the pregnancy that way.