• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What are your favorite easy recipes?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
What are some of your favorite easy recipes that you'd like to pass along to your fellow PopMalters?

I don't cook a lot, but this is one recipe that I know I could handle if I did get going in the kitchen a little more. It's called Garlicky Baked Shrimp:

Garlicky Baked Shrimp | Gimme Some Oven

I'm a big fan of shrimp, and the flavors of this dish come together really well. My mom had found this when I still lived at home, and it will always be a favorite homemade dish of mine.

Impaired

Registered Member
Fireman's casserole: boil fine egg noodles, cook 1 lb ground beef (with some minced onion and peppers) and add a jar of tomato sauce. Grate 1 lb of cheddar cheese. Mix 2/3rds with the rest in a casserole dish. Cover the top with the rest of the cheese and bake until golden brown.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Oven fried potatoes. Cut up about 4 potatoes, 1 green pepper, 1 small onion then take about 3 tablespoons of olive oil add about 1 teaspoon paprika and garlic powder (or fresh), 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes, teaspoon salt and 1/4 or less teaspoon pepper. Then coat potatoes, green pepper and onion with this. Bake in oven at 400 about 40 minutes. Stir about halfway through baking time.

I never measure any of the ingredients so these are estimates of how much I use. I've done this with vegetable oil but olive oil is much better. If you use fresh garlic probably should add more than a teaspoon full. I also cut up everything into bite size pieces.

Impaired

Registered Member
Pepper steak (or any meat or meat substitute) - you need
Vegetable oil
peppers (more colors is better) cut in thin strips (or chunks, but i like stuff that will hang over the fork)
steak (or chicken or whatever) - trimmed and sliced across the grain as thin as possible - sirloin was the original but I make it with rib eye, NY strip and even filet.
jasmine rice (get the kind that goes in the pot with the water, easier)
corn starch
soy sauce (Golden Mountain Thai Seasoning Sauce is what I like)
Cut peppers in strips and stir fry in veggie oil until ALMOST done - remove them from the pan and keep in a bowl. They get tossed back in at the end. This gives the oil the pepper flavor that makes this dish so good.

Cut steak into thin strips and coat each piece with corn starch. Make sure each piece is 100% covered
Once covered, add soy sauce until all the white from the cornstarch is gone (meat is coated with brown drippy stuff)

Fry the steak in the oil, separating each piece. I cook until the pink is almost gone. Throw the peppers back in for the last couple of minutes to warm them.

Serve over rice

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't cook a lot, but this is one recipe that I know I could handle if I did get going in the kitchen a little more. It's called Garlicky Baked Shrimp:

Garlicky Baked Shrimp | Gimme Some Oven
I might have to give that one a try. Looks delicious and yet super simple.

My favorite things to make lately are chimichurri burgers.

To make the chimichurri sauce, mix the following in a bowl:

- zest of one lemon
- a squeeze of lemon juice (I usually squeeze in half the lemon or more)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil (maybe a tablespoon or two? I use just enough to balance out the bitterness of the lemon)
- parsley, finely chopped (maybe about a tablespoon, more or less if you prefer)
- season with salt and pepper

Cook your burger however you like it. I usually put mine on a toasted pretzel roll. Then top with monterrey jack cheese, some chimichurri sauce, a slice of tomato, and a few avocado slices.

Impaired

Registered Member
Bacon.

You fry it and then eat it with whatever else is around.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The easiest recipe I know is Croque Madames and it's basically a ham and egg sammich.

The Bechamel sauce:
Melt 2 tablspoons of butter on medium heat in a sauce pan. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and keep whisking till it turns beige (about 20 seconds). Then whisk in 1 3/4 cup of whole milk in a slow stream. The sauce will be smooth, thick, and bubbly in about 2-3 minutes. Next whisk in 2 tablespoons brandy (an Alexander works best), about 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt and ground peppercorns, 1/4 teaspoon of grated nutmeg, a sprig of thyme, and about 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce. Whisk those in for about 30 seconds then turn off the stove and set the pan on a wire rack. Remove the sprig of thyme. You may need to whisk a little more so no skin on top.

Turn the broiler on high with the rack about 4" from the heat.

Grate some Gruyère cheese (I like the kind with apple). Grab 4 slices of brioche and smear about a teaspoon of Dijon mustard on each one then sprinkle the cheese over that. Add 2 slices of baked ham for each one (if no baked ham, Hormel ham works) then sprinkle more cheese over that and add 4 more slices of brioche to cover them up.

Now put a tablespoon of butter in a big skillet and fry each sammich for 3 minutes on each side. When they're crisp, put them on a baking sheet. Now ladel Bechamel sauce over those until it runs over the sides and sprinkle each one with Parmesan cheese. Those need to broil for abut 3-4 minutes while you fry the eggs in butter sunny side up so the yolks are runny.
Now just grab the baking sheet from the broiler and put a egg on each sammich and sprinkle salt and pepper.

For anyone that doesn't know how to make a Alexqander:
1 part cognac + 1 part brown creme de cacao + 1 part cream.

I've made Croque Madames a lot and they're totally awesome.
Btw, this is the 1st one I made (last year):

Last edited: