• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What Are Your Favorite Cover Songs?

Hiei

The Hierophant
Hiei,

It's because I was the first one advertising FFDP a year or two ago when they were starting to grow, that's probably why you think of me :lol:

I like the original version of Simple Man, but I think I like Shinedown's just a bit more.

You know, that's probably exactly it, right there. I always thought it weird of me to always think of you when I heard them. For one, because you're a guy and I don't like thinking about guys for no clear reason. And two, because you're an online person and I don't generally think about online people, in my daily life. :lol:
------
Speaking of Whiskey in the Jar. I really like the Metallica version, but I also like the Thin Lizzy version. I'm not really sure who first made Whiskey in the Jar, but almost every version of it that you can find is a cover. I'm pretty sure that it's actually just some old Irish Pub song.

YouTube - Thin lizzy whiskey in the jar

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm not easily forgotten, what can I say? I mean, I still can't see a picture of Chad Kroeger without thinking of you, but I'm afraid that probably sounds more like an insult than a compliment. All I can do is assure you that when I'm wishing for Kroeger's painful death, I'm not thinking of you :lol:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was never a big fan of bands covering songs, I know it's been done forever, but for the most part I like the original ones.

I hate bands/artist that try to cover Michael Jackson songs, the Alien Ant Farm version of Smooth Criminal that AK mentioned wasn't that bad, but it doesn't compare to the original, and it's not close. The Fall Out Boy version of Beat It is simply terrible, and I can't stand listening to it, same thing Chris Cornell version of Billie Jean.

Last edited:

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
Yeah, why is it I hate rap/hip-hop but when the songs are covered by another genre they are tolerable?

YouTube - Jenny Owen Youngs "Hot In Herre"

I'm such a girl, but I love some JOY. The polar bear guy makes me laugh at the very end, so ridiculous.

Anyways more that I enjoy:
YouTube - Orgy - Blue Monday (Original Music Video):::

That apparently is a radio edit. The actual album version was different, which is sad. I remember buying it when I was 15ish.

YouTube - Mad World - Gary Jules

Hated the movie that popularized this track, but I enjoy the song. Not one of my favourites though. I can't think of anymore covers. At least ones I know everyone else would be familiar with.

Hiei

The Hierophant

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
Most of the ones I was going to say have already been posted (AAF's Smooth Criminal, the Clash's I Fought the Law, and the Scrubs version of Hey Ya) but I still have something to contribute. Weezer's cover of "The Weight" originally performed by The Band.

YouTube - Weezer - The Weight (red album uk bonus track)

Also, at Conan O'Brien tour show I went to, he did a cover of the same song. I couldn't find a video of him doing it here in Columbus but there are videos of him doing it at other shows. It was damn epic in my opinion.