• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What Are Your Favorite Cover Songs?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
When I heard this one I was surprised at how well they covered it. Mostly because Billy Idol isnt one of the easiest People to cover due to his uniqueness. But still, Drowning Pool's cover of "Rebell Yell" is one of my favorite covers all time.

YouTube - Drowning Pool - Rebel Yell

and for the lulz.... this is another one of my favorite covers. A cover which I believe is more for gags than for real.

Framing Hanley covered Lil' Wayne's "Lollipop" but rock style instead :hah:

YouTube - Framing Hanley - Lollipop

Hiei

The Hierophant
Those are all really good covers, guys! Keep them coming!

Jeanie- I wasn't even aware that Johnny Cash did that cover at all. It sounded pretty good.

Barb - Richard Cheese is fucking awesome! I love his covers, too.

Cons - I actually had a feeling that you'd post a Five Finger Death Punch song. For some reason that I can't explain, everytime that I hear them I think of you. I think you probably posted something about liking them some time ago and it's just one of those random things that stuck to me.

Ice - Holy shit! Drowning Pool did an AWESOME job of covering Rebel Yell. It didn't really sound like Billy Idol, but it was really good in its own right.

------

If anyone has ever watched the show Scrubs, Ted, the lawyer, is in a band called the Worthless Peons. Well, the guys in his band are all in an actual band called The Blanks.

Anyway, they did a cover of Outcast's song Hey Ya that I thought was pretty good.

YouTube - Scrubs "Hey Ya"

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I was never a big Led Zeppelin Fan. And the first Exposure I had to "Simple Man" was the acoustic cover on the "leave a whisper" album.

Have to say Shinedowns version is one of my All Time favorite songs... it wasnt 'till about mid-last year that I even realized it was a Cover :hah:

I much prefer Shinedowns Cover over Zeppelins Original.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
The blues are so riddled with covers its not even funny. Almost everyone has covered Robert Johnson at one time or another (Robert Johnson even did a few covers himself, the original artists either barely known or completely unknown), and then Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Howlin Wolf and DOZENS of other people covered them and then Cream, led Zeppelin, and Jimi hendrix and DOZENS of others covered their covers and their other songs as well, and people cover even them..... In fact, you'll find relatively few big name groups who didn't start out covering other people, or covering people their whole career. The majority of Clapton's career is just blues covers. I love those I just don't like them as much as the original.... "Before You Accuse Me," comes to mind. Written by Bo Diddley, Covered by Clapton.

------
Here's one of the longest Chain of covers I could find. Rollin N Tumblin was written in 1928 by some dude whose name I can't remember. It was covered by Robert Johnson as "If I had Possession Over Judgement Day" and then by his bandmate Elmore James. Then again by muddy Waters, then by Cream and Johnny Winter, and then again by Clapton, and finally by Jeff Beck. Then Clapton recently covered "If I had Possession over Judgement Day." If I posted all the covers, it would take almost an hour to listen to.....

Last edited:

Hiei

The Hierophant
I was never a big Led Zeppelin Fan. And the first Exposure I had to "Simple Man" was the acoustic cover on the "leave a whisper" album.

Have to say Shinedowns version is one of my All Time favorite songs... it wasnt 'till about mid-last year that I even realized it was a Cover :hah:

I much prefer Shinedowns Cover over Zeppelins Original.

That was Lynyrd Skynyrd that originally did Simple Man. ;)
I like both versions of the song, but I like the original a little bit more. It's just, smoother sounding to me.

YouTube - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Hiei,

It's because I was the first one advertising FFDP a year or two ago when they were starting to grow, that's probably why you think of me :lol:

I like the original version of Simple Man, but I think I like Shinedown's just a bit more.