What are you scared of?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HalfEatenSurprise, Sep 23, 2010.

1. HalfEatenSurprise

HalfEatenSurprise Registered Member

I'm not sure if this has been done before. A forum this big, that's probably been going for yonks, has probably had someone address phobias and the like. So I will ask this, but will add another point to it for you to discuss...

So:
    What are you scared of.

Could you also deduce whether you think your fear is rational/irrational.
    i.e. Whether it is a phobia or a reasonable fear.

--

A fear I have that is totally irrational is doctors. I do not like them one bit, and have not seen one in at least a decade. I'm just praying I don't get seriously ill. Anyway, that's one. You?

2. Livvy

Livvy Registered Member

That's not a very good phobia to have! You can't even see someone about it!

My irrational fear I'd have to say is bridges. I get really panicky going over them.

3. Dabs

Dabs Registered Member

My fear is of large bodies of water.
    Reason being, I can not swim......I am terrified if the water rises to my chest and my feet can not feel the bottom anymore!

4. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

I am scared shitless of needles. If I'm watching something and there is a scene with a needle being put in someone where you actually see the puncture, I have to look away. If you were one of my good friends and jokingly came at me with a needle, I would mercilessly kick you in the crotch. I avoid going to the doctors as much as possible out of the fear of needing a shot. This is the extent to which I dislike needles.

Also, I hate bees, because as far as I'm concerned they are flying needles.

5. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

Well, when you've seen Final Detination about 20 times, planes taking off can be pretty freaky. And I've mentioned this before on another thread somewhere, I'm also slightly hydrophobic.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Like Double V I HATE needles, they scare the crap out of me. I hate getting any kind of shot because of my hatred for them. I'm also afraid of clowns, they scare the bejeesus out of me.

7. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Silly fears; I may have two. I am scared breathless, first of all, of one individual that I know damn well couldn't hurt a fly. Before that all started, I used to think for a long time that my only unnatural aversion was to treading water next to a large ship. :dunno: Thankfully, that's unlikely to come up.

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm scared of horses. No joke. I get all shaky when I'm close to them. I'd rather be around a wolf than a horse.

9. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Really? I was just thinking yesterday about how long it's been since I've ridden a horse. I am a little afraid of them though, afraid of being kicked by them but that's it.

10. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I have so many things that I am scared of.

Spiders and snakes...and most creepy crawly things and most reptiles in general. I was traumatized by spiders growing up, as we lived in the country on a farm and they would get in the house often. The ones that we had were "grass spiders" and would get near tarantula size, but not so hairy.

I also have an unnatural fear of shower drains. I take a lot of care not to step on one. Especially in the gym shower. I only use a particular shower that makes it easy to avoid the drain in it.

Probably the biggest is failure. I cannot stand letting someone down, or not being able to do something. The best way of getting me to do something is telling me that I can't do it. It's not always a bad fear. It makes me work hard and a perfectionist when it comes to my job.