What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Malificus, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

Just say what book you are reading (title and Author), and give your first impressions of it (Unless you're done with the book, then just sa what you thought about it).

I'm reading Azure Bonds by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb.

So far I like the book. Nothing groundbreaking, but it has a good solid story and likeable characters, and in the end, that's what matters. I've only started on the 9th chapter (of 32), but it is very good.

The story is about Alias, a female warior for hire who wakes up in a Bar and realizes she has not only lost a good chunk of her memory, but she has an unusual tattoo on her arm.

2. Ant On A Log

Ant On A Log Guest

The Chomsky Reader by Noam Chomsky.

So far I like the book. I'm halfway through the essay "The Responsibility of Intellectuals" and I'm almost to "The Manufacture of Consent". I'm excited about reading and cutting this book to make a critique for next year's debate program at my school. So far, I've got a good amount of evidence.

3. Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim Guest

The Awakening (sp?) by Chopin. So far I think it's another feminist book my english teacher is making us read.

4. Ant On A Log

Ant On A Log Guest

Is that Kate Chopin? If so, yeah, she's a pretty feminist type fiction writer. From Louisiana, no doubt.

5. Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim Guest

yea it is Kate Chopin, and she also made us read a book by Zora Neale Hurston, which make me think my Lit teacher is a feminist

6. Ant On A Log

Ant On A Log Guest

Some of her stuff is pretty underhandedly funny, if you know what I mean. Witty when it isn't really supposed to be, even though she is a dirty feminist.

7. Izzibeth

Izzibeth Guest

The Silmarillion by Tolkien. in my spare time. which is hardly ever.

8. Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh Mmmm.... Lesbians.

9. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Currently split between two books:

Art of War by (the pseudo-existent) Sun-tzu.

Pretty much the most well-known military strategy text from antiquity. Currently at the tail end of the very long series of introductions to the work (which is only about 125 pages), but it's been interesting, especially since the translator incorporates a lot of quotes from other works of the era to give you a balanced perspective on the historical events described.

and

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman by Richard P. Feynman.

The author is a Nobel Prize-winning physicist, but this is my lighthearted read to counter Art of War. A notorious prankster, RPF often used his intelligence, wit, and mischievous nature to do all kinds of practical jokes during his physics career. Currently I haven't gotten to the good part of his semi-autobiography (it's actually just a collection of audio recordings that his friend wrote down), when he was in Los Alamos as part of the Manhattan Project, but it's a really interesting, humorous book.

10. Ant On A Log

Ant On A Log Guest

You're out of your god given mind. That book is amazingly difficult to read and comprehend.

I'm also reading Freakanomics by..some random economist, I forget his name. It's a really good book that applies the laws of economics to a lot of different situations. The first chapter is called "What do school teachers and sumo wrestlers have in common?" and the second is "what does the KKK and real estate agents have in common?"...and the crazy thing is, the guy makes realistic comparisons between whatever he's talking about. Fun read.