• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What are we doing?

Twitch

Registered Member
I've been asking myself this question a lot over the past few months.

Honestly, what are we, the human race, and the world in general, doing?

I just don't get it. For the most part, we are born, we grow, we go to school, we graduate, we go to college, we get a job, we work. Then we retire. Then, we're gone. It doesn't seem like we're working for any overall purpose or goal. We're just.. living until we die.

Is it weird for me to not want this? Is it only me that thinks that this just isn't satisfying enough for the life that we have? I want to find something that's bigger than anyone else. I want to discover, explore, relax, listen, and love. I know, very hippie of me. :p

(Feel free to move this thread if it's not in the right section.)

Starfire86

Registered Member
I read somewhere the "the point of life is that it ends".
You can take that however you want to, but the way I look at it is this: we don't have an infinite amount of time here, why not make it worth something? Humans beings have a fantastic gift, in that we can do almost anything we put our minds to. It's not like with an animal, who lives in that pre-ordained role of their species. We can change our world.

If you don't find the life you've been given satisfying enough, then you probably need to do some personal work. Get to know yourself. Branch outside of your comfort zone, and be open-minded. You might be amazed at what you discover.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I think I know what you mean, I've thought the same things before. Some days it makes me just want to quit school and find something bigger.

But if you think about everything logically, it makes sense. I guess it all comes down to keeping ourselves alive, for which you need money, and to work. And more importantly you need other people to work. If everyone was out exploring, relaxing, discovering etc then who would serve us at McDonald's?? :hah:

Zenheizer

needs practice
Step 1: We are gradually switching over from fossil fueled cars into alternative energy vehicles.

Step 2: ??? Find another planet to colonize?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
But what's the alternative? Sit around and do nothing? People need things to survive, most notably food, water and shelter. Man developed a way to provide that for each other. Eventually that evolved to making it better and cheaper. I remember thinking about this when I was younger and thought like Bex did, when you really think about it, it makes sense.

qweerblue

Registered Member
I know it sounds simple, but the trick is balance. Balancing those things we have to do to survive--like earn money so we can have necessities--with those things that bring us a deeper sense of contentment. The luckiest among us have found a way to turn their passions into pursuits that also earn money, and I wish that were a reality for the majority of us instead of the minority.

A lot of this could obviously lead to a deeper conversation about priorities, both individual and cultural, and there are people proposing things that, in theory, anyway, would lead to us all having more time for relaxing, exploring, and creating while still making sure our needs are met.

One dude behind this kind of thinking is John de Graaf, who heads the "Take Back Your Time" movement:

Take Back Your Time

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Honestly, what are we, the human race, and the world in general, doing?
Living. That's pretty much it. We're living to live, and not much else.

Is it weird for me to not want this?
Nope. You're just coming to terms with your own insignificance, and the insignificance of our race. It's a perfectly natural reaction and desire; you, like millions of others, want to live a meaningful life, you want to be remembered. This is because you don't want to die, and being remembered is the closest we can come to that.

I read somewhere the "the point of life is that it ends".
It was on the Matrix too. Smith said it. (That may or may not have been where you heard it.)

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
What are we doing? Whatever we are doing now.

The question of all life in the universe is why we exist, I agree, but for what purpose?

Maybe we are all pawns in a larger game. This is related directly to the meaning of life. Living is what we are doing. It's hard to expand upon.

Sliney

The entire system the world is running by right now is just one way of doing things and I question it often.

Here is a quote from Bill Hicks that very accurately describes how I feel about everything:

"Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace."

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
There's something you need to insert into the timeline. Mine looked like this:
For the most part, we are born, we grow, we go to school, we graduate, we go to college, get married, move to Alaska, we get a job, we work. Then we retire.
I left on Sunday drove to Alaska and worked in the bush for 10 years. But that's just me. I have no clue what yours is: PeaceCorps? Start a business? Politics? Listen to your spirit, find out what is is and do it.

Last edited: