What America really thinks of real Conservatism.

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by pro2A, Sep 3, 2008.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I was watching this today and I was thinking... this is what America wants and needs. A real conservative like Reagan.

YouTube - Republican For A Reason

People want freedom and liberty, the 1984 election was proof enough that when a true conservative runs, that is what the people want.

[​IMG]

Discuss...

2. Sim

Sim Registered Member

I agree ... I'm not a conservative, but I'm what you Americans would call "liberal", but still I respect genuine conservatives like Reagan or Bush sr. They were respectable, they respected America's allies, didn't start unnecessary wars based on lies.

Unfortunately, real conservatives have become rare since neocons and theocons have hijacked the GOP and turned it into a club for religious right fanatics, foreign policy crazies and jingoists, started dividing the people by questioning the patriotism of the enlightened half of the proud American people and so on. Ron Paul is such a real conservative I respect, but his kind unfortunately has become marginal in today's GOP.

I think an Obama victory would be best for the Republicans too. They need to be defeated, or they will not critically reexamine their own ways, for that they can find back to the path of true conservatism, IMHO.

3. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

We had a true conservative. His name was Ron Paul, I voted for him in the primaries, but I'll vote for my party in the general election.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I read your last long winded article about how you wanted America to sober up. And there was one thing I couldnt help but notice is that you toss the word Jingoists around a whole lot. I'll be 100% honest here, I've read alot of articles and propaganda but have for some unheard of reason never come across this word before. Eventually I had to look it up even though you made it indirectly clear what the term meant.

Now I understand its a different world where you are. Its understandable that a nation such as Germany has some unfortunate skeletons in their closet. However even still I see nothing wrong with being proud of your country. And find it extremely odd to hear about a nation who looks down up on being proud of itself.

Heres a little quote I agree with from a well known American Jingoe. Mr. Theodore Rosevelt;

"There is much talk about 'jingoism'. If by 'jingoism' they mean a policy in pursuance of which Americans will with resolution and common sense insist upon our rights being respected by foreign powers, then we are 'jingoes'."

5. Sim

Sim Registered Member

@icegoat63:

I'd say there is a fine, but clear line between patriotism and jingiosm. It's perfectly fine when you are proud of your country and its achievements.

But it turns to something very dangerous, when this suddenly makes you feel superior to others, when it keeps you from seeing bad sides about your country, when you even start accusing people who critically question the government and its policies for their alleged lack of patriotism, although they just do their duty as citizens of a democracy.

Such a jingoism is a very dangerous form of collectivism, which is against the ideals of freedom, enlightenment and democracy -- according to which all humans are created equal, deserve equal rights and equal treatment. And according to which citizens have to check government, for that it does not become tyrannic.

When pride in the own country just enforces in-group/out-group thinking and causes you to look down on "the others", something is going wrong. In Germany, we experienced where this will lead to in an extreme situation. But that's not a lesson exclusive to Germany. It can happen everywhere.

It's not "un-American" or "un-patriotic" to question the own government. On the contrary. People who do so are true patriots. Those who just rally behind the leader and look down on those who don't don't understand what freedom and democracy is.

6. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I really don't think that you can assess what america truly wants today based on election results from 24 years ago.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

America never knows what it wants. It's why government walks all over us. I think the same things about conservatives that I do about liberals: stubborn extremists who can't accept anything in the opposite direction even if they agree with it.