• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What Age Should You Move Out Of Your Parents House By?

BJBirdy

Registered Member
The title is pretty self-explanatory. I'm 25 now and live out of state while I'm attending graduate school. I'll be a few months shy of turning 27 when I finish my Master's and I'm looking at finding a job back home. If I do that, I'm tempted to live at home again with my parents to save some cash for a few years (ideally I'd be out of there by age 30). Is it weird to live at home with your parents in your late 20s? I used to think it was, but now that I'm getting close to my late 20s, it doesn't seem as weird to me anymore :lol:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Might as well answer for me and Dickey's Flow.

Me and him wanted to move out when we were fairly young because of the room and board we were paying. But, we tought it out and and we stayed. We saved up a good chuck of to money to put an amazing down payment on a house. We were 25 when we moved out, and I don't regret it. It was tough because both him and I drank a lot and my parents didn't approve much, but in the long run it helped a lot. I bought him out and my mortgage payments are a joke.

My advice to anyone is stay as long as you can.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Stay as long as you can until you are in a financial situation to stand on your own two feet... unless your parents kick you out because you're leeching :p

I moved out when I was 19 - Went to school 400KM away. Stayed at home during vacations from school. Stayed with my Aunt and Uncle after school for a few months until I moved to Alberta for work because finding a job with a Computer Science degree in 2000 was a pain in the fucking ass. I am hoping to be able to do a Programmable Logistical Controller diploma course in the near future... then hopefully I can start making enough to stop renting ;) (Even thou the job that the diploma would give me at work just went from Salary (48K - 54K per year) to hourly (+$38 per hour)).

BJBirdy

Registered Member
My field has a starting salary of around $39,000, so if I could stay with my parents and pocket an extra $1,000/month or so by saving on rent, cable, and groceries, that'd be ideal. Hopefully one day I'll get to the median salary range ($80,000/year) so I won't have to worry about saving money as much one day :lol:

Amuna1225

It's funny. i'm 21 and still live with my mom and everyone laughs at me. However, I'm a college student, a full time college student. There's NOTHING wrong with living at home while you're still in college. Almost everyone I graduated with in 2011 who are full time college students live with their parents other than the times they are away at school.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Amuna1225 said:
It's funny. i'm 21 and still live with my mom and everyone laughs at me. However, I'm a college student, a full time college student. There's NOTHING wrong with living at home while you're still in college. Almost everyone I graduated with in 2011 who are full time college students live with their parents other than the times they are away at school.
21 is still very acceptable to live at home with your parents. I have no clue why anyone would mock that at your age. Most college students live with their parents either during college (if they're going to school nearby) or when they first graduate from college.

Sabby

Depends on your situation, my folks let me live at home rent free while I was in university. Then when I graduated they let me stay, while charging rent until I found a full time job. Moved out at 24, rented for a couple of years. Bought a house, but have to sell it. Probably rent for a year or two again to save up and buy another house in 2016

Misha Mayhem

Registered Member
I don't think that there is a specific age, because everyone's situation is different. Maybe one is a student. Maybe one is helping take care of a parent. Maybe they're super attached to their parents/guardians. For me, I lived with mine until I was *thinks* 26. But to me, my mistake was this: I was stubborn and my husband and I got married while we were figuring out school stuff and in between jobs. And so, we lived with my parents for a few years, while married (which I don't suggest doing), and paid them rent (with the help of my husband's parents, which was also a bad idea, and is another whole long story). But with a lot of hiccups, it worked out for the most part *eye twitch* LOL. And one of my boyfriends (as I mentioned elsewhere, I am poly)/co-hosts, moved in back with his mom, to help take care of her, after his dad died. So yeah, the point is, everyone's situation is different, and there shouldn't be a consensus on an acceptable age. That'd be silly, I think. And a bit insensitive.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I'm calculating what my student loans are going to be after I get my Master's...I might be living at home for a long time :lol: