What age should children be told that santa, tooth fairy, eg. don't exist?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Clever, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Clever

Clever Registered Member

Do not read the below if you are under 18 , could lead to un-happiness for a year or two.
    ---------------------------------
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please

Hello. What age do you think children should be told that traditional creatures that make life fun in your young childhood, don't exist? :nod:​

I do apologise for you young ones that have read on.

From Santa Clause to the Magical Tooth Fairy, Mum + Dad more like.
    Do you think it's time to start notifying your children.
    Or leave it for them to realise themselves.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?​

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i realized it myself. though i don't remember what age.
    i don't think there's a certain age for that, but i think children nowadays are smart enough to realize it soon themselves.
    i'm sure a child at 7 already knows this is a joke.

3. Clever

Clever Registered Member

True. ;) ;) ;) Very true, but at the age of 7 it's a time for enjoying it because soon it just ends.

4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I don't think you have to worry about people reading on when you have it so eloquently put in the title.

I actually never believed in any of those things. Especially Santa. My dad was super religious and said that it detracted from Jesus. Now that I've learned the origins of the holiday...that is quite funneh.

I guess I would say 7 or 8?

5. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Santa isn't real?:shocked:

I never told my girls, like others have said, they find out themselves through school and friends. They were about 8 and 9.

6. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

oh - no.....
    Denise, that is the most depressing thing I've heard all week. :cry:

My oldest is 9 now.......

7. Dogincorporation

Dogincorporation Registered Member

Leave it for time they will understand that you made them up to make them happy.

8. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Yeah I figured it out when I was pretty young. Pretty sure still single digits. It wasn't like some huge revelation though. I was just thinking about it one day and didn't think it was possible, so I decided they didn't exist. :lol: My parents, having been born and raised in Taiwan, were never big on the tooth fairy or Santa Claus type deals. I mean they knew about them, but I don't think it's a popular thing overseas. I think they did it as a form of Americanization, but once I was like 'hey santa isn't real' they were just like ok, good for you.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I didn't have to tell my son. He's 6 now. He knows way before that Santa isn't real but he doesn't really care. He still likes talking about him and what Santa will give to him every Christmas.

10. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Oh funny :lol: I didn't even think of that when I read it.

I'd say anywhere below double digits is pretty standard. Most kids will find out younger though I suppose. I know I did, and I told my older cousin about Santa, and then got a good telling off from my Aunty hahaha. Years later though she told me it was actually a relief that she didn't have to do it herself, my cousin was getting a bit old to still believe in all that tbh. It's definitely fun whilst it lasts though. I remember quite clearly the first year of Christmas that me and my brother knew Santa didn't exist. It was completely different. Still fun, but different.

I have no idea at what age I found out about the tooth fairy.