What about these creatures?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Chaos, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

So, Elly's thread got me thinking. The Bible says that God named all the creatures, right?

So.......what happened to the nameless creatures we're only just discovering? :p I guess God missed out on those little guys eh? :lol:

2. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

How do you know that God doesn't have names for them? Also, it wasn't God who named them, it was Adam that gave them names. Adam may have had many different names from what we call the animals today.

3. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I guess in a way, we are being Adam now and naming (or renaming) all the animals.

4. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

First off, there's no nameless creature.
    Second off, God has names for every creature and that fact that we don't know their names is our problem but it doesn't mean they are nameless.

Also, what nameless creatures are you talking about?

5. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

The nameless creatures I'm talking about are the ones we're discovering right now, Elly, and we're naming them as we go along. There are thousands and thousands of life forms (particularly in the ocean) that we don't even know about yet.

6. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

But just because you don't know about them yet, doesn't mean they have no names and doesn't mean God doesn't know their names.
    Those creatures have always been there, even without you knowing about their existence.

7. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

We should probably start with the actual Bible verse:

There, that should clear up any confusion.

8. Puck

Puck Registered Member

As many times as I look through MD and read your posts Elly, I think this is one of the few times I agree with you. :p

Though, I see where Marc's coming from. We end up naming these creatures and it feels as though we're naming them for the first time, when in fact they do already have names, they're just not able to give us those details.

9. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

Marc, are you not maybe confusing the fact that God knows us all by name with God actually naming us? As others have pointed out, the naming of animals was Adam’s God appointed duty.

God knows them all by name though. God knew you by name before you were born. God knows the names of all the stars in the sky [Ps 147:4] of which a new one is also “born” every second. It is a testimony to His omnipotence, not to say He named you (your mother did that), but to say He KNOWS you.

God knows the names of every star that must still be born, and every person still to be born and every creature still to be discovered by man. Just because we haven’t found it yet, doesn’t mean God hasn’t named it yet.

Smelnick likes this.
  10. Diederick

Diederick Registered Member

An interesting thought is how God would communicate the names of the animals to us, regarding the ones at the bottom of the ocean we are learning about just now. Or would God's names not be connected to the ones we give to plants and animals?

Are discoverers of new species divinely inspired, or just using sophisticated terms to call things "yellow blobby thing" or "creepy big fish"?