Whale kills trainer at SeaWorld

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Ahhh..I saw this on the news yesterday, pretty tragic :(

I guess it's just one of those things that happen, was there any specific reason as to why the whale attacked?

I doubt the whale would attack unless it was provoked or something.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
When I was a Fisherman, one of my biggest [irrational] fears was killer-whales. In a way, it still is. They'll come into unbelievably shallow water. In-fact, they'll beach themselves and get back in order to catch their prey.

They give me the creeps close-up, but funnily enough, they look more creepy in shallow water from the hight of a large ferry. I think you've got to be absolutely mental, or simply stupid to willingly come into close contact with such creatures.

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
Reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Orca. More over to the Dino's comment.

Yeah, that has got to be difficult for parents to explain to children. "Honey, Free Willy was just hugging that trainer. Whales do that... by the way I want you to throw those movies out when you get home."

My guess is the whale was somehow provoked, I mean, he's obviously use to be in captivity but didn't the news article make mention of a previous attack by him two years prior? Mysterious.

Hey, I just realized my mouse pad has an orca on it. Cool.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I don't think that the whale was provoked. Unless by "provoked" you mean taken out of its natural habitat, forced to live in a confined area which is infinitely smaller than its natural habitat, and forced to perform unnatural actions for the entertainment of another species.

NINnerd

Survived a M&G with Trent
I agree with the OP. Animals should be left alone to live as animals. I hate it when they are caged, and more so when they are trained. How would we feel if someone caged us and trained us that way?

This is why I don't support Sea World or circuses with animals.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
I saw this on the news this morning. Pretty tragic for the woman who got killed and all her family and friends. Must be very emotional for them.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
This is where the internet has ruined me... My first reaction was:

"ha ha.... owned".

But yeah I dont have any remorse for the trainer. Like the OP says, these animals are not meant to be caged up and slaved out for entertainment. It is a sad situation for them and maybe even one I'd side with Animal Rights people on.

I hate sensationalist media. If you watch the video in the link this guy makes it sound like the most violent, crazy thing to ever happen in the world. The matter of the fact is, the trainer probably messed up. Most animal attacks (in "caged" animals) happens when the trainer themselves makes a mistake, does something they know they arn't supposed to do.

They deal with large, territorial animals that have had their territory reduced by 1000 fold.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I heard about this on my way to work, like it's been said aninals don't like to be in captivity.

Also this isn't the first human this killer whale kills, it's his third and their still showcasing him.

One of the reasons why they won't let him go back to his natural habitat is because they can't defend themselves anymore.