• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Western vs Eastern RPGs

Western or Eastern RPGs?

• Total voters

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Western RPGs are games like Mass Effect and Oblivion, whereas Eastern RPGs are games like Final Fantasy and... uh... Final Fantasy clones. So which do you prefer, and why?

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
I personally prefer Eastern RPGs. One of the main reasons detractors don't like eastern RPGs (very linear plot) is why I like them so much. I love the Final Fantasy games and other eastern RPGs because of the epic story and the large cast of characters. Making the game linear doesn't take away from the game at all for me.

It should be said that I also enjoy western RPGs as well. Mass Effect was really enjoyable, as was Oblivion. It just seems for me that, despite the large number of side quests and large world, western RPGs don't keep my interest for as long.

I don't think I should be allowed to vote. I've only played eastern RPG games such as Final Fantasy, Grandia 2, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Golden Sun etc. A good storyline is what makes me play those games. If a Western RPG has a good storyline then I'll give it a try. Any recommendations for the PS2? I got a low-end computer by todays standards.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
To a large extent, I think console gamers take to Eastern RPGs, whereas PC gamers take to Western RPGs. Both sorts of games conform to nature of their traditional platform, since Western RPGs tend to have more involved inventory management and stat allocation systems, which are better facilitated by a mouse, keyboard, and high-res screen. It's only recently--and partially because of HDTVs--that Western RPGs have even shown up on consoles in a big way.

I've personally never taken to Eastern RPGs. I've played through Final Fantasy VII, Tales of Symphonia, and Shining Force; and they were fun, but I'll take something like Fallout over them any day. Creating a character or group thereof is just something I enjoy, and actually has a huge impact on whether or not I bother to play an RPG. I also tend to prefer the tone, plot, and general feel of Western RPGs, for whatever reason.

patkick said:
Any recommendations for the PS2?
I'm honestly not sure if there are any Western RPGs on the PS2, much less any good ones.

Last edited:

SatisPassion

Registered Member
I grew up with Eastern RPGs like Final Fantasy V and VI (never played IV, though I hear that it's awesome, and that the Gameboy remake is something you've gotta have), Chrono Trigger (my favorite all-time game), Star Ocean, Breath of Fire 1 and 2 (2 was better), EarthBound, Lufia I and II, Secret of Mana, and others that I can't think of at the moment.

EDIT: Gah! I can't believe I forgot Zelda. I really loved the early ones, anyways. I stopped liking the series really after OoT and MM. TP wasn't so bad, but it still didn't really compare.

I won't deny that Western RPGs don't have their appeal: Fable, KotOR, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and Oblivion are just a few off the top of my head that I really enjoyed.

Notice though, the more recent games I've enjoyed are all western really, and all the eastern games I've liked are all rather old. Still, I enjoy older games more, I think, even if the newer ones have better graphics and such; they're classics, you know.

I don't think I should be allowed to vote. I've only played eastern RPG games such as Final Fantasy, Grandia 2, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Golden Sun etc. A good storyline is what makes me play those games. If a Western RPG has a good storyline then I'll give it a try. Any recommendations for the PS2? I got a low-end computer by todays standards.

Depending on what you're more into, I'd be forced to suggest for the PS2:

Dark Cloud - Action RPG
Shadow Hearts series - Turn-based RPGs
Disgaea Series - Strategy RPGs
Suikoden Series - Turn-based RPGs
Dragon Quest XIII - Turn-based RPG (didn't like it so much myself, but others did)
Radiata Stories - Action RPG (beginning is irritating, but once the main character is on his own, it's not so bad)

Also, a lot of friends of mine are crazy about this Persona 3: FES, but I haven't tried it yet. It apparently just came out recently for the PS2, and I was thinking of hunting it down. I'm one of those few people who haven't moved on to the new systems yet.

EDIT: Of course, no Western RPGs really come to mind for the PS2, if that's what you were looking for. For some bizarre reason, I thought you were looking for recommendations for the PS2 in general, not just Western... My mistake. But, still, you might want to try these if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Okay, I have to ask - why the hell is the Zelda series labelled an RPG?

To the best of my knowledge, the only one that could be called an RPG is Zelda 2 on the NES. The others seem more like action/adventure games.

SatisPassion

Registered Member
Okay, I have to ask - why the hell is the Zelda series labelled an RPG?

To the best of my knowledge, the only one that could be called an RPG is Zelda 2 on the NES. The others seem more like action/adventure games.
Hmmm, well I won't say that you're wrong; they are more puzzle-oriented dungeon adventure type games. Though, you are playing the role of the hero, so technically a RPG? Well, it's like a 2d version of Fable in a way; you go off doing quests and sidequests for the sake of getting better weaponry and such, and Fable is considered an RPG.

I guess it depends on what you think makes an RPG.

Fantasy

The White Wolf
Eastern RPGs ftw, I'm just more used to them. Although I will admit, I've been looking for a few western ones to play lately, preferably off the PC.

Crono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest... The games I sold my soul to. :D

Disgaea Series - Strategy RPGs
Oooh, thanks for reminding me that I'm still yet to play that. >_<
I keep forgetting I have it, and then I go to play some other game that more often than not I've already finished.
I'll get around to it after Lord of the Rings: Third Age, yays.

viLky

ykLiv
Eastern RPGs 100%

As a lot of people said, I also grew up playing eastern RPGs and had a blast. Games like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Breath of Fire were some of the series I grew up on. All of them were amazing and gave me hope for future RPGs.