• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Western v. Eastern RPGs?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Which variation of the typical RPG formula do you like at this time?

Eastern: Typical, cliche-filled, big haired, overdone stories
Examples: The Last Remnant, Final Fantasy

Western: Action-oriented
Examples: Mass Effect, KOTOR

Right now I prefer the Western stylings, but I need to go back to the Eastern genre for a little bit.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I prefer eastern because it brings some of the old school game elements with it. Also the stories are very in depth and you can get easily immersed in their world.

I like westerns as well especially KOTOR, not a big Mass Effect fan. Fable is my favorite overall when it comes to westerns.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm one of those people that just cannot get into hardcore RPG's no matter how hard I try.

If you were to blend/blur the devising lines between the Action/Adventure genre and the RPG then yeah I could definitely have a very opinionated stake. I couldnt even think of a Single RPG that is a true RPG that I've played all the way through... probably ever.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'm not a big fan of RPG's either. I liked the Star Wars games. but never finished one of them. Just not my cup of tea.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I'm one of those people that just cannot get into hardcore RPG's no matter how hard I try.

If you were to blend/blur the devising lines between the Action/Adventure genre and the RPG then yeah I could definitely have a very opinionated stake. I couldnt even think of a Single RPG that is a true RPG that I've played all the way through... probably ever.
That makes sense. There is a tendency for the Eastern titles to be less accessible.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I tried calling a few Action/Adventure games "RPG's" under the premise of "I'm playing the role of Jason Drake / Kratos / Altair & Ezio / Etc etc" but I always get cut down with "those arent RPG's! They are Action Adventure!".

hahhaha so the initial "what the fuck is an RPG" always bugs me. So far the only one Im aware of that is a true RPG that I've played is Final Fantasy, and I hated it. Most boring Game I'd ever played. Sure the graphics were fantastic at the time, but it just wasnt enough to keep me interested.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm a big fan of the newer style Western RPG's, mostly Diablo 2 and Oblivion.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
hahhaha so the initial "what the fuck is an RPG" always bugs me.
Well an RPG deals with micromanagement of the lead character or characters. There is always clear leveling-up and obtainment of new skills.

AC and Uncharted are action adventures because they don't have upgradeable skills and just follow cut-and-paste controls and storylines.

Sigurd

Internet Dig Dug
I really can't pick a side here, I love both types of RPG's and each has their own merits but I guess I'd say Eastern RPG's just because they introduced me to the entire genre to begin with.

jhunter

Registered Member
Hmmmm....
Fallout Franchise and Borderlands
vs.
Pokemon and Demon's Souls
I'm going to have to side with eastern, because that is my whole childhood, and Demon's Souls is probably my favorite game.