West Memphis 3

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Bubbles, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

I was flipping through the channels last night and I stopped on Larry King Live. Last night’s show covered the West Memphis 3 case. So, it seems that a bunch of celebrities are jumping on the “Free WM3” bandwagon. Among them, Johnny Depp, Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks, and Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. I don’t really know much about the case, but I’m currently in the process of educating myself. I’m watching Paradise Lost, which btw is not an easy task, the first few minutes are so graphic it made me sick to my stomach. (I know the movie has a warning, but I didn’t think they were gonna show anything in that much detail) It was a bit too much for me to swallow. Anyways, what I don’t get is if there is evidence that has not been tested and if there was a “Mr. Bojangles”, why isn’t the police looking into in now? Are they maybe afraid of admitting they were wrong? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the WM3 are innocent or anything since i don’t know much about the case, but doesn’t the police usually consider those closest to the victims as suspects first and foremost? There seems to be something off about Pamela Hobbs in the movie, same with John Mark Byers. Anyways, I was wondering what do you guys think about all this? Are innocent? Are they guilty?

2. luciannobradley

luciannobradley Registered Member

I won't claim to be well-educated on this issue, so I won't claim to be; but from what I have heard, their trial was bullcrap. They had no conclusive evidence linking them to them murders: the DNA did not match the scene of the crime, a fourth set of prints was found (belonging to the victim's father/stepfather/whatever no less) and NOTHING was done with that, their strongest piece fo evidence was a "confession" (which contradicted crime scene reconstructions as well as general information on the case) made by a slow teenager who was probably negotiated with beforehand, and the trial was done at a time of mass panic for nonexistent "satanic" cult attacks on people which led to media pressure to close the case right away.

From what I can gather, it was just a sloppy, poorly-handled trial. Personally, I do think they're guilty, but that does not matter -- point is, they did not have a properly-executed trial and they deserve one.