Were the Olympics a success?

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by English-Emo-Boy, Aug 24, 2008.

1. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

So the Olympics are over but what were you feelings and thoughts regarding the games.

Do you think they were a success?

What were your highlights and low points?

Looking forward to London 2012?

2. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I actually enjoyed this years Olympics more so than any other. Definitely the swimming had something to do with it but enjoyed so much more too. I think the big part was the fact that we could watch it live in the primetime and with it being in London next time we get that chance again. So, ya, I'm looking forward to it.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The Olympics were a great success in my opinion. I loved every minute of what watched.

High Points:

-U.S Men winning the Gold
    -Michael Phelps winning eight Gold Medals
    -Usain Bolt winning three Gold medals
    -Canada winning 18 total medals, after a slow start

Low Points:
    -Canada got off to a real slow start

I'm looking forward to 2010 because it's Canada, but yes London 2012 is going to be awesome and I cannot wait.

4. padd

padd Registered Member

I agree with almost everything you said BR, except that winning 18 medals.. we did not win alot of golds, don't forget that. It was a succes nation-wide, but for Canada and Italy they could have done a little better.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

High points:
    swimming (Phelps and the relays in particular)
    USA winning gold in men's basketball. I was pretty pumped watching the game last night.

Low points:
    NBC's shitty TV coverage
    USA's track team
    shady judging in gymnastics

6. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

I thought the olympics were absolutely fantastic. Brilliantly staged and organised. And i think all in all it was good for china's image. Which is a shame. there wasn't enough coverage on china's human rights problems as i would have hoped. The "free press" (or so they said) that china offered was the perfect chance to really hit hard and i don't think that chance was taken. Sky News had a few very good reports before the olympics started, but then the human rights side of things kind of faded out as the focus was purely on the sport.

As for the 2012 olympics, looking forward to them, definately going to go and see them, but unless they up their budget the games are going to be a disaster. England's olympic budget is half that of China's this year, and that's keeping in mind that China would get a lot more bang for their buck anyways. Plus Britain just love to overspend either way! (the farce that was wembley stadium anyone?)

Syndicate likes this.
  7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I agree. It must have been the dazzle of the Opening Ceremony. :lol: But in a way I was also glad that it didn't turn out as politically disastrous as I thought it could (save for some of the isolated events during the first week).

The Olympics also made it possible for Russia-Georgia war to go on with fewer attention from the media. People were more focused on the games than the conflict (can't blame them though).

I'm satisfied with our 40 medals although we do have a lot of silver medals that could have been gold "if only...." I was also disappointed with Manadou's performance.

I'm looking forward to 2012 even if it reminds me that it could have been Paris, lol. Not only because it's happening just across the channel (and I can hop on the Eurostar to watch) but also the time zone works better for us. More live broadcasts!

8. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I love the hockey of the winter olympics and i like that better then anything else but this has been one of the most enjoyable olympics ive ever seen. i guess because im older and have taken an interest in other sports really helped. it also helps the USA does so well. Cant wait for Vancouver.

9. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

Yeah they were good olympics.

Good points:
    - the opening and closing ceremonies, beautiful stuff.
    - the cycling race crossing the Chinese wall, great pictures :)
    - the 10k open water swimming event won by Van der Weijden (after suffering from leukeamia just a few years ago). His training buddy and winner of multiple gold medals himself Van den Hoogenband was doing the co-commentary and seriously... he freaked out! He was shouting so loud you couldn't hear his voice anymore and then after the finish he stormed on to the stage and fell into his arms... I have never ever seen someone so happy! I mean, when he won the gold himself he cheered a little, but now he acted like a little kid dancing around and hugging his idol :cool: That was some serious goood television!
    [​IMG]

10. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

wooly summed up my thoughts on whether it was a success or not.

I did what I always do really. I watched the opening ceremony and then just occasionally flicked it on now and then. It's enjoyable TV and there was some great coverage but I soon forget it. I imagine we in England will be flooded with 2012 attention once it arrives so I'll have little choice but give it more interest but I'm not really excited about it. Maybe nearer the time.