• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Were Nazi's evil?

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Since it seems to be consensus in the "Was Hitler Evil" thread that this should not even be questioned, I propose new questions.

Was being or supporting Nazi's evil? It is a simple question I think, but is complex to answer.

First as in the other thread, I ask, does the support of the Catholic Church and most of the Western world for Nazi's, their agenda's, and views on the Aryan race being supreme make both the Catholic Church and Westerners evil? (then vs now)

Then a second question, were the soldiers who fought as Nazi's evil? Most were given a choice to fight as a Nazi, or die, literally, and in many cases with a gun pointed at their heads. The majority of the Nazi army were not even German as many might know. But does "doing the devils bidding" so to say make you or them evil?

Third question, given the circumstance above; The Nazi army just invaded and defeated your country, a Nazi officer lines you up in the middle of the street going from 1 person to the next with gun pointed at their heads and ask 1 simple question, "are you going to fight as a Nazi, or die like a coward?" What would be you response?

Last edited:

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
The first question is difficult to answer.

For the rest, if the soldiers were forced to fight, then naturally it doesn't make them evil. Valuing one's life more than the country is natural. To do otherwise requires a lot of courage, and just because one doesn't have a lot of courage it doesn't mean it's evil.

My response would be I'd fight as a Nazi. If I die, my morals die with me.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Nazism is a political ideology rooted in fascism that follows a social routine of essentially, biological racism. So the question becomes, do you find those things to be evil? Well, we have people today that still believe in varying degrees of eugenics or the idea that weaker people should be weeded out (like the idea that people with crippling or degenerative hereditary diseases should be barred from having children) and until you start slaughtering millions of people like Hitler did, you can't essentially claim it to be "evil" since once again, good and evil are subjective terms.

Although, I think it's growing to be universal that racists are evil if not incredibly dense and socially inept. What the Nazis did was quite evil on many universal levels. However, if we're discussing strictly the ideology then no, ideas don't have moral alignments as for something to become real, it must be put into action. For example, I could sit here and think about blowing up an orphanage which is disturbing in and of itself but until I do it, there's nothing evil happening.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Although, I think it's growing to be universal that racists are evil if not incredibly dense and socially inept.
Yes, racism is evil by today's standards so we if can generalize that as a universal moral, then Nazism should be considered evil by our generation.
However, if we're discussing strictly the ideology then no, ideas don't have moral alignments as for something to become real, it must be put into action.
I disagree with this because ideas direct people's actions. It is very difficult to have an idea in mind and not be influenced by it at least at the subconscious level. Taking the orphanage example, if you read that someone else blew up the orphanage and you took pleasure in it, I would not consider you culpable, but I would consider you evil.

King_Usbeorn

Nazism coming from facism is a party that basically ment extreme nationalist and racism and boy were they horrible. They would murder kids, childern, men, rape, force hard labor and torture. When the soviets found one of gas chambers they described it in absolute horror. Even if they had a choice a true man would rather die then to commit those crimes. They also had a nickname "Bullies of Europe"

If that isn't evil then its downright just sick.