Well tomorrow's the big day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soul, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Soul

Soul New Member

Tomorrow is the day I get my braces off. I feel kind of happy because my braces will be coming off but kind of sad since I'll be having to wear a retainer after this.

2. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

Don't even worry about the retainer. They tell you to wear it a lot, But you only go to see them a few times after you get your braces off. After that you can wear them at your leisure, they don't do much.

3. Soul

Soul New Member

Yeah I don't need to go back every month and have them tighten it. Also having a retainer is worst.

4. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

One of the best feelings is getting your braces off. It feels really strange for a while though, and I know I felt like my teeth were going to fall out because there was nothing holding them there.

Just make sure you wear the retainer at the times you're told. I got lazy and hardly wore mine, and as a result my teeth aren't as straight as they should be.

EDIT: Yeah sorry Twitch, i'm going to contradict you. I didn't wear my retainer and my teeth moved out of place a little. They're still pretty straight, but not as great as they could have been.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  5. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

ahem.....

Worst. advice. evar. :lol:

If I don't wear my retainer for a week (much less when I first got my braces off) then my teeth absolutely kill when I do make myself wear it. I can also feel them out of position. It's so bad for your teeth if you're constantly making them shift around by fucking about with wearing the retainer.

My friend didn't wear hers regularly at all, about one night every couple of weeks, and as a result she had to have her braces put BACK on, how sucky is that?? So yeah, wear it. It really doesn't have to be quite as often as they say, but do try to as much as possible.

Sorry, you didn't even ask for retainer advice, haha.

6. Soul

Soul New Member

I don't think retainers and high school are a good mix..

7. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Wear it at night when you're sleeping. That's what my dentist told me to do. Then you don't have the issue of the slight lisp because of it, or getting teased for it.

8. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

When I got my braces off, I only had to wear the retainer at night.

Also, my teeth felt extra slimy because I was used to metal. lol

Are you getting a permanent retainer to the back of your teeth? I had one for 13 years before the glue just gave way and it broke. I'm relieved really, I hated that thing.
    Also, I lost my top removable retainer 2 months afterwards by accident and couldn't afford to get another one...and my teeth haven't moved and are still really straight. But I had my braces on for close to 3 years before they were removed.

9. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Oh yeah I probably should have mentioned that what I said up there ^^ was all night-wearing related. I never wore it during the day apart from at the beginning when I was just hanging out around the house on my own.

10. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

My sister was supposed to wear a retainer after her braces were removed. She didn't, even at night. As a result, all the braces work was undone and she had to get them put back on. She was pretty angry about that. Needless to say, she made sure to follow the orthodontist's orders the next time =P Yah, don't worry bud, usually it's just an overnight thing. lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009