• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Atari Well this is funny

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
I just went to the other room to check on my Atari (because it's been ages since I even thought about it), and it turns out I have an Atari 7800 but it had an Atari 2600 game inside. And the funny thing is, it was my favorite game and I had played it all the time. It always worked. It wasn't even one of the ones that I have to struggle with to work. It was Tennis.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Well when I first got games, they seemed to work pretty good, but over time I found myself having to really fiddle with the game and shove them in there good to get them to work. I remember one day coming back to it as a kid after not having played Atari in years and it took me like 30 minutes just to get a game working, but they do work.

Gamechamp

Registered Member
Whoa. Dang, that's strange. I never knew they were backwards compatable... I didn't think they had developed that kind of thing in games yet back then.

dk_rare

Registered Member
Gamechamp said:
Whoa. Dang, that's strange. I never knew they were backwards compatable... I didn't think they had developed that kind of thing in games yet back then.
It is quite possible that each new console, to some console makers, wern't all made from completely new techonology so much as they could of been made from existing technology (to save money?). I'm not too sure, Atari is one group I am not familier with.

ltk9492

Registered Member
NO WAY! I had no idea it was backwards compatible. I definitley have to check this, i love some of my old 2600 games. You better not be lying about this man, i gotta go see if i can get over to my friends house. He has some old consoles and such in his closet that he don't want, but hes holding them if they appreciate in value.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Don't expect anything grand on your first attempt. You may very well find yourself fiddling around with the cartridge for a long time, 20 minutes at least, or possibly 30 to an hour. You have to stick it in there ju..........st right. Basically you've gotta find the system's G-spot. No joke.

yooperchick

Registered Member
Since they are one of the pioneers, maybe they didn't even think of making a point that it "could" be backwards compatible. Maybe they just hoped everyone would buy all new games?

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Well I know from memory that you have to not only have a clean cartridge and fit it all the way down in there, but you have to kinda wedge it in really tight. Like shift the cartridge from side to side just a little bit. Gotta get that feeling of urking it in there really good. I know the 2600 games are much smaller than the cartridge opening on the 7800. And just when you think you got it.... you gotta urk it just a little more and get it again.

yooperchick

Registered Member
00vega said:
And just when you think you got it.... you gotta urk it just a little more and get it again.
Hmmm...sounds like the NES too...

I'm not even gonna comment on how bad that post sounds if you don't know what the subject is about :lol: