Well, that was that

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HalfEatenSurprise, Aug 31, 2010.

1. HalfEatenSurprise

HalfEatenSurprise Registered Member

You got some sort of goal in life? 'Cause you do, most people do. Something they'd like to do, or someone they'd love to meet.

I wonder, if you actually manage to achieve this thing you aim to, what do you think your feelings afterwards would be?

I mean, I would love to meet Trent Reznor, or Charlie Brooker, or Lise Myhre. Yet, I can only imagine that if I did, once the encounter was over I'd just end up going, "Oh, well that was a human, it had arms and legs, and a head and spoke to me a bit."
    Or if I drove a Ferrari F40 around Laguna Seca, I'm sure that once it was over I'd feel a bit shallower for:
    1) Wanting to do this daft thing, even if it wasn't daft.
    2) Not being able to do it again. If I actually wanted to.

Perhaps the event would feel particularly drab and pointless afterwards, on the basis that in all, this sort of thing will not teach me anything, it will not make me a better person, and other than boasting about it to chums (which is hardly fitting behaviour, or encourageable) it would ultimately be a momentary thing that ends with me going back to my normal, boring life. Which will seem a lot more depressing as a result.

Is that just me, or do others also reckon that achieving your goal would have an adverse aftermath, as opposed to a positive uplifting one? Are these sorts of goals damaging?

2. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

I think the aftermath of achieving a goal will be as shallow as your goal was to begin with, tbh. The examples you give I can only imagine would have an adverse aftermath. Those are all superficial goals. Take for example me. My childhood action hero was Arnie and I always wanted to meet him. A few years ago I finally got that opportunity. It was not even the next day when I felt completely underwhelmed by the experience (no offense Arnie, I love you!! :lol: ).

Now lets look at goals that are not superficial by nature. Working hard at a career to become a successful business (wo)man and achieving that. That would leave you feeling satisfied when looking back on all the hard work you’ve put in. Becoming a mother/father. That is a life time reward right there. There are many more examples, but I think you get the idea.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Registered Member

I'm gonna be the very best like no one ever was. I'd probably feel really good for a while but then sink into a deep depression because there won't be anymore goals to achieve. Most likely become an alcoholic and drink myself into an early death.

4. HalfEatenSurprise

HalfEatenSurprise Registered Member

Good point. Very good point. -- I also suppose that some of these things above might not achieve the adverse affect that may be possible, depends on whether you view the goal reached as superficial or not. Superficiality can be a subjective view.
    Arnie, haha... Did he say his three word catchphrase?

5. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I'm with CuriousGirl. If all of your goals are things that are that superficial, you'll probably be disappointed because you've set your hopes so very high for that one moment. I'd liken that to be like waiting for some exciting movie to come out and once you see it, you don't get that initial rush if you see it a second, third, fourth time.

I have a goal to become a Speech Language Pathologist. That's basically a speech therapist. Having a lisp that I've had to overcome myself, I would absolutely love to teach other children how to talk properly so that it helps build their self esteem and whatnot. If I ever did actually become a Speech Language Pathologist, I'd be extremely happy just to have the license to practice, but for every kid that I help talk properly, I know that my satisfaction would only ever go up. I don't think that's the type of goal that would leave me feeling disappointed at all.

But, it all comes back to the main point. If you set shallow goals, you're probably going to be disappointed when you make that goal happen. If your goal is anything more than superficial, it'll be a dream that you never wake up from.
    ------
    In my opinion, cars are all the same. Doesn't matter if it's a beater car on its last legs or if it's the top rated car that there ever was. People are the same in my mind. Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time. Celebrity means nothing to me. So, I don't really get excited if I meet famous people and I'd consider those extremely superficial goals.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  6. Hissa

Hissa Registered Member

Well, I can say that whenever I achieve one of my goals I never feel disappointed afterwards....
    I will remember that goal as a happy memory or nice experience...
    This is the way I feel about my goals....