Well I did a good deed today

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I was off work today so decided to do something productive. I went down to Petsmart and bought four large bags of cat and kitten food. I then drove to the Franklin County animal shelter and donated the food to them.

I filled out an application, then went back and picked out a dog (A chocolate lab) and took her on a walk and played with her. She was VERY STRONG, and VERY energetic. We played for about 30 minutes and ran around a bit. Then she took me on a walk and did her natural duties in the grass. I took her back in after a few dog snacks.

I picked out another dog, a Jack Russell and my god that dog was on crack or something. We went out to the play area and she ran up and down the fence and ran after the ball I had. After about 30 minutes she was pooped and I took her back inside.

Afterwards I cleaned up a few cages, then made my way to the cat section where there were about 50 cats in various large cages. A human could easily fit into these (community) cages. They each held about 3-5 cats comfortably. The lady told me to pick one and took me back to a room where I could play with it. I went to one cage with a bunch of 4 month old kittens and one came right up to me and hopped up into my arms. So I took it and played with and petted him for about 15-20 minutes. If I could have taken him home I would have. He really seemed to like me, but our lease allows for one cat :-/

It just warmed me up tho knowing I made these animals day, just going and playing with them is good fun, and its good for the animals too. They need that interaction.

Once we buy a house I'm probably going to go back and adopt a few cats and a dog or two :)

Kind of puts a lie to the notion that I'm heartless conservative bastard doesn't it?

Suzie

Registered Member
Thats awesome!!!! It does make you feel very good doesnt it? I have tons of storys I can tell about rescuing animals. I volunteer at my local shelter too and it really makes you feel so good just knowing that you made one pets day. Its a little hard to get used to, and it still makes me sad to go in there and see all the animals with no homes-or the ones just waiting to get "put down".
Good job... that is awesome and it really just brought a tear to my eye!

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Thats awesome!!!! It does make you feel very good doesnt it? I have tons of storys I can tell about rescuing animals. I volunteer at my local shelter too and it really makes you feel so good just knowing that you made one pets day. Its a little hard to get used to, and it still makes me sad to go in there and see all the animals with no homes-or the ones just waiting to get "put down".
Good job... that is awesome and it really just brought a tear to my eye!
I don't think this shelter puts them down. They have A LOT of space, and if they don't there are other shelters in the area that have space. If it came down to it, I'm sure I could get my landlord to bend the rules a bit. I mean what is one more kitty gonna hurt?
------
I didn't think you were heartless.
No but Jeanie did one day... kind ticked me off a bit.

Last edited:
I mean what is one more kitty gonna hurt?
I dunno, that's verging on dangerous levels of cute. As long as you make sure you only have one kitten at a time it should be safe, but any more and you really need a house to properly contain it.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I think I may have gotten suckered into taking a cat from another state last night from one of my friends who came back down to feed and stay with her cats a few days before going back up to Virginia with her husband who is on a job up there. They were renting an apt from this lady who had 3 cats and the older male starting peeing on floors and the lady claimed it was the 2 y/o spayed female and took all 3 to the vet to have them put down. A friend of her found out and picked them all up and now she's trying to find homes for them :/ I mean what possesses someone to do something like that?

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
That's pretty cool. It reminds me of the 'rent a dog for a day' concept. In the U.S, anyone can even rent a sniffer dog these days.

I'd give possitive reps for the OP, but they are turned off.