• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Weird Al

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was wondering what your thoughts were on Weird Al. I know a lot of people enjoy him and personally I never understood why. The guy isn't funny at all in his parodies, and all he does is pretty much mocks songs.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'll respect your opinion even if you like him, but I am just curious to read what you think about him.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I think the guy's awesome...this is coming from a childhood of his music being popular and really funny/relevant, though. I've never bought anything of Weird Al's and I probably wouldn't be that excited about new music, but when I was a kid he was the sh*t to everyone at my grade school.

All he does is mock songs, for sure, but it's classic tongue-in-cheek humor that doesn't take itself seriously. That can be a lot of fun sometimes. I mean, c'mon, Amish Paradise? haha

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
there may be a fine line between parody and mockery, but I don't think Weird Al crosses it. He doesn't mean to mock or ridicule, he's just being clever. Personally, I think he's a genius.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Al was parodying the top artist 30 years ago. Now all of them are have been tossed away or are dead. Yet Al is still going, although not as strong. That's a testament to talent even if its unconventional. I'd call him a genius also.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The guy isn't funny at all in his parodies, and all he does is pretty much mocks songs.
That's pretty much the definition of parody, making a mockery of something. Although as Jeanie pointed out, he doesn't do it in a malicious or rude way. It doesn't surprise me that you don't find him funny since we can't even get you to visit subtalk. Is humor outlawed in Canada or are you just boring? :lol:

I kid of course.

He's also become somewhat of a measuring stick for success in the music industry. If Weird Al calls you to ask for permission to parody one of your songs, you must be famous. I remember hearing a singer say it but I forget who.

YouTube - ‪"Weird Al" Yankovic - White & Nerdy‬‏

Konshentz

Konshentz
While none of his songs are bust-a-gut funny, at least to me, I do think he is very talented and I find a number of his songs entertaining. I have to wonder if songs like "Eat It" and "Fat" are a reason you don't like him, BR. Haha.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I think the guy is funny and creative. I loved his videos back in the day when MTV showed videos, because they were a refreshing change. I've always liked Weird Al.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
I respect him because there's a certain demographic that wants clean and creative humor, and he fills it superbly. Of course it's not for everyone, but there's a lot of nostalgia he summons. I've sometimes found myself humming his versions of songs, and I think that's staying power.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Weird Al doesn't do any parody of a song without asking the person who originally wrote it first. That speaks volumns for the kinda guy he is. He doesn't have to ask them for permission first but he does it anyways.

I think the man is a genius.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
there may be a fine line between parody and mockery, but I don't think Weird Al crosses it. He doesn't mean to mock or ridicule, he's just being clever. Personally, I think he's a genius.
I completely agree. I personally think Weird Al is hilarious. I'll agree that some of his newer stuff is a bit "meh..." but almost everything he put out in the 80s and 90s was pure genius. Not to mention, he went on stage for a concert merely an hour after finding out that both his parents had died. That's dedication right there. How can anyone not like him, is the real question here. Bizzy, I will bite your FACE off.

Last edited: