Website

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by wolvergambit, Apr 30, 2005.

1. wolvergambit

wolvergambit Registered Member

I have decided I want to set up a website for Rick, with his story and photos. where people can come put comments as well and maybe donations.I don't have a clue how one goes about this or what I need to know as far as designing it. Are there any places on the web for idiots like me that will make it easier for me to understand how to set it up? I know nothing about html.

2. doubles2004

doubles2004 Registered Member

Hello
    Glad to hear you are wanting to do this. I think it is a great idea. wish i could help you set it up but. im still learning this myself {html} i am sure someone will come along here to help you i wish you all the luck for doing this .let us know when you get it set up

3. LicentiousVenus

LicentiousVenus Registered Member

there are many ways about going about this...i've just started getting into web design but am learning quicly since the programs are so similar to what i do everyday in school....first you need a domain (the addy of your site) depending on how you want to go about it there are free options like www.geocities.com Geocities is fine for personal use if you don't think the site will get much traffic...normal domains can be bought from numerous sites such as www.godaddy.com and others...they cost between 8 and 10 dollars per year....after you get your domain you need to get someone to host that domain....i have a friend that owns a hosting company (pm me and i'll give you his contact info, i don't know his pricing)....other than that...most sites that sell domains offer hosting options, shop around for the best deal...the prices range from a few dollars a month all the way up to around 50 a month...i suggest going fairly basic and you can upgrade from there

Designing your page doesn't have to be hard...some sites offer free web page builders...i think they look too generic...for around 100 dollars or less you can buy a program called Microsoft Front Page...it lets you enter information by using either html or there are buttons and templates included in the software...i think it is really user friendly....for html there are lots of tutorials and reference sites...just google the word "html" or "html codes"

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  4. Nanner

Nanner Registered Member

If you want to start out small and cheap and see how it goes from there then I'd say go basic with a yahoo or geocities site. You can get the cheepo one on yahoo for like 7 bucks a month (last time I looked) which you would probably want vs the freebie one. The freebie you can't upload using an FTP program which makes it a bid harder IMO. A cheap easy program is Web Studio (forget who makes it but easy enough to find out on someplace that sells software.....Sierra maybe?.....I think they still make it? Mine is pretty old)! Anyway there are cheaper programs out there if this one isn't available. Don't need to know html but can use it if you want to. It's basically cut and paste type stuff but you can get a nice site out of it. Very easy to add pics/background and text. Even counters and guestbooks. If I can figure it out then anyone can :)

5. wolvergambit

wolvergambit Registered Member

Dont be too sure Nancy!! LOL

I've downloaded it and I am trying to paste text into the webpage, but it is resizing it, because it says its too large, but when it does, I can barely read the text????

Also, I can't seem to get it positioned properly on the page????

I think I'm stupider than I look!!!!!!

6. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

My personal preference for just starting out is portals. I used dotnetnuke and love it. You have a portal set up and then drop modules in from a pull down menu. All of the software is server based, so you do all of your work from your browser. No software to buy. The list of avaiable modules is long and is growing daily. Want a video, map, forum, chart, blog, etc...just drop it into the site.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I would say just the oposite. I would never recommend starting out with a portal simply because it's just not a good way to learn. It's good to have some knowledge already before you get into portals because otherwise you won't learn to do new things. I find that people who start out using portals usually don't understand how the portals work. I have made some portals and that is a different story, lol!

8. Nanner

Nanner Registered Member

I don't know what is happening with your text but as far as the position. Just kinda center it. You usually have movement in the page but for the most part if you just keep to the middle you'll be alright. If not then when you upload it to a site you'll find out and then get to go back and move everything over to the correct position :) Having fun yet? :lol: Now I need to update my page......only like a year and 1/2 behind! Good luck! Once you play for awhile you'll get it. Just make sure you know a whole lot of swear words while your practicing :D

9. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Really. I have had the opposite experience. But, then again, I had a mentor with DNN who is a master of asp.net. I'll revise my comments to this: download the white pages for DNN and read it for at least 2-3 weeks before jumping in. If you know what you are doing, you can do almost anything with a portal even if you have only a little knowledge of html and programming.

10. LicentiousVenus

LicentiousVenus Registered Member

if you use geocities they have a free page builder that is simple...allows html too, but you probably aren't to that point yet....if i were you i wouldn't spend money on a site till you learn how to get one looking nice...your choice of coarse