Web Hosting

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
Anyone have any good companies they'd recommend? I'm paying 10 bucks a month and have good service and such, it's just more then I need for a website that's more just sitting then actually being used right now. I wouldn't mind a good service for 5 a month if anyone knows of one.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I just use my friends web hosting, this way I have his personal number when something go awry and bitch at him lol

but 10/mo? that's a ripoff.

I don't like godaddy for anything. A lot of people use bluehost and they have coupons all over the place for discounts and free months of service.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
But in order to do that you'd have to know how to set up your PC as a server and leave your computer on 24/7.

raddmadd

Registered Member
But in order to do that you'd have to know how to set up your PC as a server and leave your computer on 24/7.
Computers are made to be left on 24/7, plus setting up a server is easy.

For small static web pages, where someone doesn't have an extra computer and/or connection laying around, I suggest a cheap web host.

For large dynamic websites (or maybe even large static web sites) I suggest hosting it yourself, if you've got an extra computer laying around (You don't even have to have an extra one, but ehh..)

I'm sure there are easy-to-setup server software packages for Linux, as for Windows, WAMP is nice.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
The closest I ever recommend to hosting your own is renting a dedicated server.

Unless you want to pay $500-$1,000 a month then shared hosting is the way to go. ;)