Web Design at my school is not what you think.....

Discussion in 'School' started by myGUNgoesPewPew, Sep 12, 2008.

1. myGUNgoesPewPew

myGUNgoesPewPew Registered Member

I thought going into this class that I would be learning how to create web pages........WRONG!

We aren't even going to learn how to until the end of the semester. We get to learn the Ethics of the net and proper "Netiquette"....

this class is just a joke in my opinion.

What do you guys think?

2. doyle369

doyle369 Registered Member

what was your course called?

3. myGUNgoesPewPew

4. doyle369

lol

well I would drop it mate

choose something else

I wanted to do a web design course, but my college dont do that
    ------
    what do you mean by

"semester"

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  5. myGUNgoesPewPew

ya im thinkin about it, its just stupid how they say its web design (and even the description tells you your creating web pages) and its not at all......

well my high school splits up years in 4 quarters....

4 quarters = 1 year
    2 quarters = 1 semester
    2 semesters = 1 year

6. doyle369

\o/

Im just learning how to make websites by teaching myself.....:D

7. myGUNgoesPewPew

i mean i know how to make websites and everything, but theres always different ways to do things, and im pretty sure theres things i dont know about web design....

thought it would be an easy class that i already basically know but still dont know ENOUGH about.....

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Netiquette? There is no such thing.

9. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Stick with it. Unless the lecturer is really bad.

I think it is rather good that you are getting taught this. There is a lot of theory to web design and netiquette is one of them(it does exist!).

There are many errors to be made in design, just like any business you must know the do's and dont's. There are rules! and if you don't know the rules you can't break them or play by them. The reason the web looks the way it does is for good reason.

What you think might look good on a computer screen can easily be misinterpreted or even non-communicative. You never make a site to meet your needs, they must meet the needs of others or no-one would care about it! If you don't know what they need you cant succeed. The web site you use must be suitable for its stupidest user, how stupid is that? Netiquette and usability are the two biggest factors in web design, never ignore them. The people at Pen Island did and failed before they started by registering the name www. penisland .net.......or was it a clever ploy by the marketing and advertising departments!

You have to understand the faux pas and what is acceptable within the design community or when it comes to actually using the future skills you will learn in making a web site you will probably fail miserably. When you eventually use your web designs skills you must be able to justify everything with answers beyond reasoning. Why did you use that type? why that colour? why did you insert those words? what picture size and why? what border size and why? what does that button do? what does that mean what does this mean? etc...etc....etc...

You would not go into any other business blind, web design is no exception.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  10. myGUNgoesPewPew

ahhh ok, i didnt see it that way, thanks bananas.....