• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wearing Purple Today

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
So in light of the recent suicides committed by gay teens/young adults because of bullying and abuse, there's some kind of event today that calls for people to wear purple to raise awareness.

How do you feel about these kinds of things?

It's another questionable movement, if you ask me. I know it's never a good thing for people to commit suicide, but because these guys happen to be gay, doesn't make it any more significant. I bet distraught families around the world wouldn't mind a day where people honored their loss, but there are just too many to officially honor in this manner. Why should we have a day because the guys were gay?

I think the intentions are right, but it also gives me the sense that the gay community needs to feel special in some way, like they need people to recognize that these events happened...because the men were gay. In the fight for equality, I don't think calling for a day of awareness is going to help. Maybe they could've done a collaboration with other groups who have lost loved ones to suicide too, and just have the headline being the recent cases.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I am wearing purple today.

It breaks my heart that people get picked on for their gender preference. It breaks my heart even more that these people are left so hopeless that they feel that taking their lives is easier or better than living.

I see no problem with wearing a specific color to signify, hey, there are people that care about your problems. It may prevent other gay men or women from taking their own lives, when they see how many people wear purple that day and actually care. When you're being picked on for that very thing, it's hard to see the bright side and that anyone else gives a crap because you are feeling so many negative emotions.

But, my wearing purple could do absolutely nothing. But if it would mean something to anyone, anywhere, I would do it. Wearing a colored shirt is the least I could do.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I'm sympathetic to the cause too. I just think that the focus could be less on gays and more on suicides as a result of bullying. I kept getting the idea that this event was also a side attempt at gay rights or something, which I thought would be totally out of place. They could use the most recent examples as their main examples, but stuff like bullying because of weight or class or race can take part in the movement too. The potential is a lot bigger.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm in agreement with AK, I'm wearing purple today(but I didn't know about this awareness day.)

I don't see any issues of having a "wearing a specific color day" It's incredible on how many people get bullied, picked on, ect. just because they are different. The sad part is that some lead to suicide like it was mentioned in the OP.

These people that get bullied often, must think that everyone is against them, having a day like this proves that it couldn't be further from the truth.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I'm sympathetic to the cause too. I just think that the focus could be less on gays and more on suicides as a result of bullying. I kept getting the idea that this event was also a side attempt at gay rights or something, which I thought would be totally out of place. They could use the most recent examples as their main examples, but stuff like bullying because of weight or class or race can take part in the movement too. The potential is a lot bigger.
While I see what you're saying, I still don't find anything wrong with it. Gay rights are a huge issue. Gay rights are the reason why this is happening, so I don't think it's necessarily a plug, so to speak. If it were more widely accepted...ie gay marriage rights, then this would be seen less as abnormal and people would be made fun of less for it, but that's just my opinion.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I'm wearing purple today. Ditto exactly what Anita said. If someone out there is getting picked on because of their sexual orientation and they feel hopeless, and maybe seeing someone wearing purple today will give them just enough glimmer of hope to hang on, it's the very least I can do. The very least.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I guess I've gotten a little cynical towards a lot of different kind of movements. :lol: There always seems to be some kind of ulterior political motive, but seeing as there aren't any (from what I can tell), it only makes me that much more sympathetic.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I am wearing purple today. I don't care if there is an ulterior motive to the movement, someone out there who is suffering may see me wearing my purple with pride and feel better knowing that there are people out there who care. I'm doing my part for those people, and even if there is some underlying motive behind this, why deny the people public support because somewhere someone wants to support the gay rights movement? I'm all for supporting that and raising awareness to the suicides do to bullying. I agree that awareness needs to be brought forward for all suicides, but I think that even doing this small thing, does bring awareness to suicide as a whole in some ways.

Raos

Registered Member
I know it's never a good thing for people to commit suicide, but because these guys happen to be gay, doesn't make it any more significant.
No, it does not make it more significant, but they are not saying it does. If you raise awareness for homeless vets are you saying homeless non-vets are not important? if you raise awareness for cancer are you saying that diabetics don't matter?
I bet distraught families around the world wouldn't mind a day where people honored their loss
No one is stopping anyone from doing that. If those families would like to do that then they can and I bet they would have plenty of people supporting them.
but there are just too many to officially honor in this manner.
I disagree with this. If there is something important to you then you can raise awareness for it. no one is saying that one person has to do it all.
Why should we have a day because the guys were gay?
Because someone thought it was warranted and started it up. Instead of asking why should we you might want to ask why shouldn't we.

like they need people to recognize that these events happened...because the men were gay.
And what is wrong with that? These people killed themselves because they were bullied for being gay so why shouldn't there be recognition that it is a problem so that maybe it can be lessened or stopped?

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
The problem, well not even a problem, I see is that the focus is being put on "gay" and "suicide", when in my opinion, it should be put on "bullying" and "suicide", which has a much broader reach, with these boys as a prime example.

Of course, people can support who and what in any way they want to.