We need a new Streets of Rage game

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by viLky, Feb 1, 2010.

1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

What's better than a good ol' beat 'em up game? Games such as Final Fight, Golden Axe and Streets of Rage were really fun to be able to kick somebody's butt in a virtual console.

What's Street of Rage, you ask? Take a look at this YouTube clip:

YouTube - Streets of Rage 1 - Round 1 - Axel
    Aww, how awesome.

A year ago I was against this new release of Golden Axe (doubt it was ever released), but after reflecting on that stance I'm now ready for a new fighting, beat 'em up game - preferable Streets of Rage. WHY Streets of Rage instead of a new Golden Axe or Final Fight, you ask? Well, do you remember the cool techno, electronic beats Streets of Rage had? That music was far superior (to me, at least) than Final Fight. Along with the music, I believe Streets of Rage was the superior beat 'em up game. Final Fight didn't have enough characters, and Golden Axe was too fantasy-ish. Streets of Rage is where the kick butt action really shined. Agreed?

[​IMG]

Just imagine, PICTURE a new, updated graphics, gameplay and music of Streets of Rage. There is money to be made here, and some video game development company better pick up on it. :D

o-- What do you think of the beat 'em up games? Like them? Dislike them?
    o-- Is there money to be made if a company develops them?
    o-- What sort of storylines would you like the game to have? Fantasy? Modern? Futuristic?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    Nixola and Bliss like this.

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Streets of Rage 1 and 2 were two of my all time favourite games. Blaze was pure awesome. I would definitely love to play a new game. Imagine how the graphics would be. I'd like it to be a much longer game too lol.

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

4. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I loved streets of Rage and Golden Axe, prefered Streets of Rage though.
    I've always like a good beat 'em up game. It's just satisfying to know that you are kicking the shit out of someone and you're getting away with it!

I would love to see a new Streets of Rage come out. As has been mentioned before the graphics would be awesome and hopefully the story line would be more detailed and planned as games are just as much about the story line as the graphics these days.

Is there money to be made if a company develops them?
    I believe so. You'll always have someone out there who is gonna want to buy a game like that. Maybe beat 'em up games arent so popular as they were back in the 90's, but I think alot of people would still enjoy them.

What sort of storylines would you like the game to have? Fantasy? Modern? Futuristic?

I'm not a fan of fantasty storylines, I like modern set storylines, but I dont mind futuristic ones either, as long as they are half believeable.

5. Nevyrmoore

See, I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I don't want to see a new Streets of Rage. Why?

Because there is every possibility it will turn out like Final Fight: Streetwise. Which pretty much flopped.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Ah, thanks for posting.

Hmm... I see... For some reason it reminds me of Gauntlet Legends (N64) and Darksiders (PS3/360) combined. Not good. >.<;

Picture this added to the new Streets of Rage games: RAGDOLL PHYSICS! :drool:

While I do agree that game designers don't create the game to it's full potential, I do believe they should at least keep the idea in their mind for future projects. Just picture a longer story (more than 5 stages), ragdoll physics, unlockables and... um... trophies! None of those Xbox 'Achievements', but in-game trophies. :D

I'm trying to think of good beat 'em up games released in 3D. The Bouncer wasn't good, Dead To Rights; had a solid story and fast pace action and... well, that's all I can think of. All I'm asking is for designers and developers to not forget about the button mashing beat 'em ups.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  7. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

I've always liked those type of games from the hey day of videogaming, it sort of reminds me of Street Fighter, graphic wise of course.

Looks awesome, and I would definitely love for a remake this time around.

8. Nevyrmoore

Strangely enough, I rather liked The Bouncer. I wish I hadn't just rented it, because I really want to play it again.

9. Poetosis

Poetosis Registered Member

The Bouncer was surprisingly fun when I was a few years younger. It did have the same vain to it as Streets of Rage, but it got caught up in a tangle with Square.

Updating the graphics, yet maintaining the sound and feel, would do wonders for old Streets of Rage games. They released the second game on XBLA, but we need the third to get transferred from the Wii's Virtual Console.