• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PlayStation 3 We May be Getting a PS3!

Taliesin

Registered Member
Me and wifey have had an ongoing series of conversations of late, all revolving around getting a second console. Gamewise, there's very little on the Xbox that appeals to us, whereas on the PS3, there are already six titles that we would love to try out.

So, here's the thing, I want to ask those of you who own a PS3 (I'm looking at you, Crou) about what your experiences with this console have been like. Does it need to be constantly connected to the internet or can we play anything we want to offline? What is the menu interface like?

So far, we are contemplating the following titles in this specific order...

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Journey
Tomb Raider (the most recent one, and wifey wants it!)
Dragon's Dogma
Dark Souls
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron ('cos I love giant robots)

Has anyone here played any of these titles, and what was your impression of them? What other titles would you recommend that we look into? Neither wifey nor I are into sports or fighting games, or first person shooters, so we're really not interested in anything like that. Fantasy's good though. We love that. :)

So, yeah, help a brother out. I'd love to know your thoughts.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
I've played Tomb Raider and Dark Souls (neither on PS3 though). To say the least, I think Dark Souls may very well be the single hardest game ever made, nothing more to really comment on. I find Tomb Raider to be incredibly enjoyable, I always have fun when I play it. It's odd though, it's something I can ignore for the most part for a couple of weeks and I can easily pick up where I left off.

The PS3 does not have to be online unless you're trying to update the console or if you're playing online (obviously).

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
If you are getting a PS3 you have to have HAVE TO get Heavy Rain and The Last of Us. They are only on the PS3 and are possibly two of the greatest games ever made and I don't think anyone would disagree with that statement.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm jealous. I want a PS3, but I just invested in a new computer so I don't think I'll be purchasing one anytime soon.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, you should probably look into the Uncharted series as well. Those games are very popular and I must say they look amazing.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Some games you should add to your list.

Little Big Planet
Flower
Heavy Rain
The Last of Us
Uncharted Drakes Fortune
Uncharted Among Theives
Uncharted Drakes Deception

I know you aren't into shooting games, and while Last of Us and Uncharted games have a lot of shooting they also have some of the most amazing stories ever told in a game, as well as many other game mechanics, puzzles etc. I think You'll like them. I also think you'll like the style of Little Big Planet. It's a really cute and charming game, almost feels like a Nintendo game.

Also Flower is the game made by the same people who made Journey, it was their game before Journey and it's amazing.

As for the internet, I play mostly single player games so I hardly even connect mine to the internet. I only do it if I want to sync my trophies, watch youtube or buy a game or something like that. Or those rare times that I do play online.

As for the menu, I've always liked it. It's a simple, easy to use layout. A lot of people don't like the PS3 interface, I'm not sure why, it's always been great for me.

Also I don't think you can get Red Dead Redemption on WiiU so I would also recommend that. It's pretty great.

In the end, I cannot stress ENOUGH how much you need to play the Uncharted games. Next to Journey the Uncharted series are my favourite on the PS3. I have played each one more than three times each and never get sick of them.

Last edited:

Taliesin

Registered Member
To say the least, I think Dark Souls may very well be the single hardest game ever made, nothing more to really comment on.
I am a gamer of slightly below average ability. From yours and other people's descriptions (online reviews, etc.), this sounds like it may be way out of my league.

As an example of my gaming level, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is the hardest game I've played to date, and that took me months to get used to (but I love it now). I've heard that the Monster Hunter games are supposed to be as difficult as the Dark Soul titles... but I'm doubtful. I still getting the impression that Dark Souls is much harder still.

I wonder if you could tell me what specifically about Dark Souls makes it exceptionally difficult? Is it quite unforgiving in how easily you can die, or something else like that?

If you are getting a PS3 you have to have HAVE TO get Heavy Rain and The Last of Us. They are only on the PS3 and are possibly two of the greatest games ever made and I don't think anyone would disagree with that statement.
To be honest with you, I've kinda had my eye on those two games as well. There seems to be a few titles on PS3 that could be right up my alley. Which of the two would you recommend that I begin with?

I'm jealous. I want a PS3, but I just invested in a new computer so I don't think I'll be purchasing one anytime soon.
The prices on PS3 consoles have come right down at the moment, so that's the only reason we're considering it at all. And a lot of the games we want are on special right now too... I'm talking a-fraction-of-the-usual-price prices!

In addition to what's already been mentioned, you should probably look into the Uncharted series as well. Those games are very popular and I must say they look amazing.
They're like big, epic, Hollywood-style adventure games, right? I may have to research those ones a bit more...

Some games you should add to your list.

Little Big Planet
Flower
Heavy Rain
The Last of Us
Uncharted Drakes Fortune
Uncharted Among Theives
Uncharted Drakes Deception

I know you aren't into shooting games, and while Last of Us and Uncharted games have a lot of shooting they also have some of the most amazing stories ever told in a game, as well as many other game mechanics, puzzles etc. I think You'll like them. I also think you'll like the style of Little Big Planet. It's a really cute and charming game, almost feels like a Nintendo game.

Also Flower is the game made by the same people who made Journey, it was their game before Journey and it's amazing.

As for the internet, I play mostly single player games so I hardly even connect mine to the internet. I only do it if I want to sync my trophies, watch youtube or buy a game or something like that. Or those rare times that I do play online.

As for the menu, I've always liked it. It's a simple, easy to use layout. A lot of people don't like the PS3 interface, I'm not sure why, it's always been great for me.

Also I don't think you can get Red Dead Redemption on WiiU so I would also recommend that. It's pretty great.
A few great recommendations there, Crou. Thanks! Flower, Heavy Rain, and The Last of Us seem like the ones that might be most appealing to me. In fact, I saw a game collection that consisted of Journey and Flower (and I think one other game but I can't quite recall), and it was quite cheap. I should probably pick that up!

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah you can buy Journey, Flower and the game they made before that in one pack. The first one is called Flow, and is apparently similar to Flower but a more simple version. I've never actually played it but I want to. I've played Journey and Flower several times each.

I think that you should consider the Uncharted games, even if they don't like like they will appeal to you as much. They have been out for ages now so you can get them really cheaply.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Yeah you can buy Journey, Flower and the game they made before that in one pack. The first one is called Flow, and is apparently similar to Flower but a more simple version. I've never actually played it but I want to. I've played Journey and Flower several times each.

I think that you should consider the Uncharted games, even if they don't like like they will appeal to you as much. They have been out for ages now so you can get them really cheaply.
I will certainly consider them. There's a few games I want to pick up for cheap while we are able to do so, and now seems like great time for that. We're going to pick up some games in the next few weeks, then buy the console itself in about a month at the outside.

Okay, another question for you... there are two models for sale at the moment. One has a 12GB hard drive. This is the one we have our eyes on. It's $199. The other is a 500GB hard drive model for $369. That's way more than we can afford, so we're not considering that one at all. However, does the size of the hard drive count at all when you're playing games on it? Is there any advantage at all to having the one with the larger hard drive?

Sorry if that seems like such a stupid question, but I'm not a technically minded person, so I wouldn't know. That's why I'm asking.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
I am a gamer of slightly below average ability. From yours and other people's descriptions (online reviews, etc.), this sounds like it may be way out of my league.

As an example of my gaming level, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is the hardest game I've played to date, and that took me months to get used to (but I love it now). I've heard that the Monster Hunter games are supposed to be as difficult as the Dark Soul titles... but I'm doubtful. I still getting the impression that Dark Souls is much harder still.

I wonder if you could tell me what specifically about Dark Souls makes it exceptionally difficult? Is it quite unforgiving in how easily you can die, or something else like that?
I'd actually consider myself to be above average ability.

The thing about Dark Souls that makes it really hard is the fact that the enemies have a lot of life, you take damage easily, and you have to go for long segments between saves. On top of that, each enemy has to be fought a bit differently. Don't even get me started on the boss fights :lol:.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed playing the game (I played on 360), but the game is WAY too hard.

It's got that feel of an oldschool Japanese RPG in the sense that it's unbearably hard and very unforgiving. I guess the Japanese are accustomed to harder games (we saw this for the first time with the Worldwide release of Super Mario Bros 2 vs the Japanese "Lost Levels" release)

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Honestly you can get heaps of PS3 games for under $15 if you are okay with buying preowned games. You can even get some new games cheap now because they have been out for so long, but nothing beats preowned prices.

It won't matter for you about the size. It sounds like you will be mostly buying games instead of downloading them. And the game saves hardly take up any space. 12GB should be fine for you. It's more for people who like to store lots of media or downloaded versions of game on the PS3 to have a lot of memory.

Also unlike 360, the PS3 harddrives are just normal everyday PC hardrives. So if you ever want you could just buy a PC hardrive and install that in the PS3, with some help of someone who knows how to do that. Which would be much cheaper than the 500gb one.