• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes this is the question you hear the most who's the greatest player Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky? I think that Gretzky is the best, he has the most goals all time, and he tons and tons of records, that some of them will never get beaten. I know you can say that Lemieux had cancer and lots of injuries, but Gretzky was just fortunate and was injury free. Some say Lemieux was a better scorer, maybe if he's on a break away, but if you say anywhere on the ice I think Gretzky is. Overall Gretzky is way better in my opinion.

Turbo

Registered Member
you beat me to this topic vince, lol. wayne is by far the better. he was stellar on and off the ice and played for the love of the game. mario is lame and only played for money.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think he just played for the money I know he loved the game, one thing that is very impressive about Mario is that he smoked two packs of cigarettes a day then he played a hockey game, sorry but to have all that endurane during a game after smoking two packs a day is impressive. But I still think Gretzky is way better.

F

Forbidden

They are both excellent players, but looking at the points Gretzky was able to put up, I would say he's the best of all time.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes points will make you go towards Wayne but what I really liked about Wayne is his leadership, and the way he carried himself out of the hockey rink, also he made is teamates better then they were supposed to be.

F

Forbidden

Actually when I think about it more, Mario may be the best of all time in my opinion because of all of how strict they were toward checking Gretzky then. Mario had to deal with getting cheap shotted all the time and had nobody really to defend him, Gretzky had a more easy path to scoring.

L

_Leafaholic_

Gretzky was an amazing player, he saw the ice really well and always knew where his teammates were going to be!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Gretzky's vision was simply amazing, you could be an average scorer and Gretzky will make you a great scorer because of that vision. It's true that Gretzky had goons to protect him night in and night out but even if he didn't have any I am sure he'd still have the career like he did.

F

Forbidden

Yes, he's still an amazing player of course, but he was always safe with police like McSorley and Semenko, Lemieux had to rely on like Kevin Stevens for protection.