WATCH OUT! Another scam coming out of Africa.

ADDIS ABABA, Aug 24 (Reuters) - African leaders will ask rich nations for $67 billion per year to mitigate the impact of global warming on the world's poorest continent, according to a draft resolution seen by Reuters on Monday.

Ten leaders are holding talks at African Union (AU) headquarters in the Ethiopian capital to try to agree a common stance ahead of a U.N. summit on climate change in Copenhagen in December.

Experts say Africa contributes little to the pollution blamed for warming, but is likely to be hit hardest by the droughts, floods, heatwaves and rising sea levels forecast if climate change is not checked.

The draft resolution, which must still be approved by the 10 leaders, called for rich countries to pay $67 billion annually to counter the impact of global warming in Africa.
Earlier this year, Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi called on rich countries to compensate Africa for warming, arguing that pollution in the northern hemisphere may have caused his country's ruinous famines in the 1980s. [ID:nLP93207]

A study commissioned by the Geneva-based Global Humanitarian Forum that was released in May said poor nations bear more than nine-tenths of the human and economic burden of climate change.

The 50 poorest countries, however, contribute less than 1 percent of the carbon dioxide emissions that scientists say are threatening the planet, the report said.
Source: Africa wants $67 bln a year in global warming funds | Reuters

It's like the African government is trying out that e-mail scam created in Niger on an epic worldly scale now.

While I was reading this whole article all I heard in my head was "Scam, scam, scam, scam..." I sure hope nobody gives them one cent.

I love how they blame us for global warming (second quote) - whether you believe it or not - and pull a 67 billion dollar figure out of the sky just to help what "we may have caused". Actually asking for 67 billions doesn't mean "may have" it means "did". At least that's what I think when reading that.

Am I being insensitive? Judgmental? Maybe. It just pisses me off that they're pulling this random 67 billion figure out of their arse and having the richest nations fix their country from what "we may have" caused. Screw that. Don't blame us for your famine and your countries problems. Fix your own **** country.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Ever heard of the Czech president Vaclav Klaus? He said that global warming is the new communism.

"As someone who lived under communism for most of my life I feel obliged to say that the biggest threat to freedom, democracy, the market economy and prosperity at the beginning of the 21st century is not communism or its various softer variants," said Klaus, responding to questions posed by the two lawmakers. "Communism was replaced by the threat of ambitious environmentalism."

You know, demanding 65B/year sounds like "the biggest threat to freedom, democracy, the market economy and prosperity" that I can think of.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Ever heard of the Czech president Vaclav Klaus? He said that global warming is the new communism.

"As someone who lived under communism for most of my life I feel obliged to say that the biggest threat to freedom, democracy, the market economy and prosperity at the beginning of the 21st century is not communism or its various softer variants," said Klaus, responding to questions posed by the two lawmakers. "Communism was replaced by the threat of ambitious environmentalism."

You know, demanding 65B/year sounds like "the biggest threat to freedom, democracy, the market economy and prosperity" that I can think of.
That's probably one of the better analogies I've heard in a long time. Communism was, and environmentalism is a legitimate issue, but it's getting blown out of proportion.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree with Wade, I've never heard that analogy before but it's great. Environmentalism is a legitimate issue, but it's getting blown out of proportion more and more.

I agree Vilky, scam is pretty much what I read into that also. The problems with most of those countries is massive amounts of corruption. Blaming us and global warming is just ridiculous.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I think you are being a little harsh and extremely selfish. They have good reason to be concerned.

If Im to be honest; I dont really care for the $65bn pa, most of the developed polluting countries can piss that type of money and most do.....so by the time its divided between the likes of the US, EU, Japan, Russia, China, India we are talking loose change. What will cost a lot more than $65bn pa is the other demand they are making, the cut 40% of emmisions.....now thats a demand most of us could not keep.

MenInTights; said:
A rather lopsided and narcisstic view here MiT; I ask how many African countries can lay claim to enjoy freedom, democracy, the market economy and prosperity?

.....their proposal is not about us but about them, if you've ever been to Africa you will know what I mean.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
A rather lopsided and narcisstic view here MiT; I ask how many African countries can lay claim to enjoy freedom, democracy, the market economy and prosperity?

.....their proposal is not about us but about them, if you've ever been to Africa you will know what I mean.
Most can't, you're right. But I don't blame that on global warming or anything we've done, but on them. Their proposal may be about them, but they're asking it from us. And us handing over our tax dollars based on those claims IS a threat to freedom, etc..

Bananas

Endangered Species
............ And us handing over our tax dollars based on those claims IS a threat to freedom, etc..
Is it, is it really?

Maybe Im just being callous here; Is asking for a few bucks in light of a global crisis really an act of coercion that will strip you of your liberties?

Climate change is real, our impact and involvement is questionable but as and when it happens we are in a much better position than most, both geographically and also in our proficiency. The geography we can not change, but seeing as our proficiency is a large part of the big question, "are we responisble? who cares!" then I feel if we can use what resource we have to positive results then why the hell not, it wont affect my freedoms thats for sure, at worse I may get pushed towards what type of lightbulb to use and have $0.01 deducted from my wages. Its hardly a oneway street to the gulags.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
You're right Bananas, it's not the same thing as being sent to a gulag. But I think you and I see freedom differently. I view excessive taxation as an infringement of freedom. That's my labor that the government is taking money on, and distributing that money based on something that may or not be true is to me, an infringement of freedom. It's also unconstitutional in my view, but that's a different topic.

And I'm also speaking more global, taxing for rebates for hybrid cars, carbon offsets, based on environmentalism globally not just this one example, is an infringement of freedom.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
The poorest nations will suffer most due to global warming, and while it would be nice to believe our way of life has no negative consequences of such a sort, it's simply not the case. I don't believe, though, that the best course of action by Western nations is to give more money than we already do to the governments of such nations. Micro-loans to individual entruepenuers in such nations, as well as money given directly to the people of such nations in such a way that it is investable by them, will do much more for them by my thinking.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I don't believe, though, that the best course of action by Western nations is to give more money than we already do to the governments of such nations. Micro-loans to individual entruepenuers in such nations, as well as money given directly to the people of such nations in such a way that it is investable by them, will do much more for them by my thinking.

I've thought about doing this myself. kiva is a great site and I think there are others. When I first signed on to World Vision years ago I was surprised by how unknowingly racist and ignorant I was on the matter. Their dvd profiled the Ethiopian villages that were all over the news in the 90s. What took me back was the dvd said these people are just like you, they want to work and take care of their families. They do not want a handout and we are sensitive to this when we work with them. It had just never occurred to me how insensitive it is to drop 10,000 pounds of rice in the desert and get out before the people arrive. We're no better than these people just extremely more fortunate. The ridiculous attitude I had that these people could never live a normal life because they were somehow less than me.
It really comes down to the teach a man to fish illustration.