• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wasteland backdrop

viLky

ykLiv
With games such as Borderlands, Fallout, Fallout: New Vegas and the new game coming out call Rage, it is beginning to make me sick of all these wasteland style games. Now, is it because wasteland backdrops are popular, or is it because wastelands are easier to design and develop than say a futuristic city... or a fantasy world?

How do you feel about wasteland backdrops? Are you sick of them, or do you still continue exploring these dusty places? ^.^

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
It's a phase. Wastelands are simple to make and simple in concept, but just because 4 AAA games have a post-apocalyptic settings doesn't mean that they are necessarily the "it" thing to do. To me, I don't care where the setting is, as long as the title impresses me.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Honestly getting a little tired of it in post-apoc settings. There's more to post-apocalypse than wastelands.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Honestly getting a little tired of it in post-apoc settings. There's more to post-apocalypse than wastelands.
I agree. That's why I am looking forward to Rage, there are CHARACTERS in that game, people you can identify with, hopefully. Fallout 3 did that rather well, as did New Vegas.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Personally, I like it. lol.

I think a lot of game designers are doing wastelands, because wastelands, you don't have to populate with people. You don't have to have as many people walking around, as much movement, or as many other things. I imagine static 3d objects in games are the easiest to do, and wastelands are settings where they don't have to make a lot of movement for it to be believeable. Imagine the power and memory that would be needed for a fully populated futuristic city to be rendered with the realistic amount of 3d rendered people walking around. That's my theory off the top of my head anyways.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I don't think it's "easier" to design. Designing a whole new world for a game is a massive and difficult task, no matter where the studio decides to set it.

As for wastelands themselves I'm not really sick of them yet, but I think they should try harder to make each one really unique and different.

For example the game Enslaved: Odyssey to the West was set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland type setting like many other games. Enslaved however deiced to take a different approach and instead of the dark grimy settings we are used to gave us something amazing and different.

Example:

I know that these old "ruins" type setting isn't exactly new either, but I still think it stands out more than something like Borderlands.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
See, I don't consider that to be a wasteland. I consider a wasteland to be barren; devoid of life; what you see in those nuclear apocolypse games. That's a different type of post-apocalypse, and what I want to see more of.

More variety, less wasteland. More deserted cities, less deserts.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Hmm, I suppose it's more of a wasteland that is so old that it's started to come back to life. I think I still consider it wasteland, it's still ruin, barren city that has completely fallen for some reason or another.

Sort of like half wasteland, half jungle.

By the way some settings I don't like are the REALLY dark and dingy ones. Even though I loved the game I had trouble with Arkham Asylum sometimes. That whole settings was just so dark and gloomy that after a while I needed to take a lot of breaks from the game. I just didn't like to be immersed in such a dark and almost lifeless setting for long periods at a time. It got to me.

Konshentz

Konshentz
It's starting to wear a little thin with me. If the game has good characters, a good story and good gameplay, I can overlook it but I'm hoping it stops being the go-to setting sooner rather than later.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
I have as much fun exploring these Wastelands as i do looking into the dumpster across the street.

Enslaved is a nice break from the norm though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nevyrmoore Bathroom Wall 12
R Introductions 9