Wasteful Government

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here's a quote from Thomas Jefferson that I found to be pretty applicable to the US predicament of today:

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
So, what do you think of that quote? Do you think it applies today?

I think it applies today more than ever. This is exactly that the government is getting away with and the American people are ushering it in under the guise of "change" to the sound of deadpan chanting "Yes we can! Yes we can..."

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Absolutely I think it applies to today. The framers of this country did not intend what has become of this country, the taxing, the spending, the out of control deficit. I couldn't agree with Jefferson's quote more. Over the last 80 years our rights have been slowly eroding and we've come to accept it. Sadly.

JAdams

Registered Member
But what can we do? We're just content with sitting down, not doing much but trying to vote for the guy that will listen to us.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Damn Strait! What really pisses me off is the insurance and medical care too. We are working for this wasteful government won't provide for us. Its madness

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I think we can start cutting back on wasting the labors of people by keeping in mind another bit of wisdom from old Jefferson: "The spirit of this country is totally adverse to a large military force."

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I think we can start cutting back on wasting the labors of people by keeping in mind another bit of wisdom from old Jefferson: "The spirit of this country is totally adverse to a large military force."
Funny, the military is the only power granted to the government in the constitution :rolleyes:

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
pro2A said:
I'm sure if you read those no where does it say that the government can take over banks and health care. I mean if you can more power to you
The Commerce Clause when combined with the Necessary and Proper Clause are commonly interpreted to give Congress such power.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Wow... those of you on the left salivate every time you see the word regulate in the constitution :lol: I find it amusing.

The intent of the Commerce Clause was not what you said. I mean isn't that why we told England to pound salt... because we were tired of being regulated by the King? Why would the founders create something they just fought to get rid of? That makes no sense at all. The commerce clause was added due to varying currency's different states issued and to enable free trade between the states, not to regulate/tax interstate sales, or for that matter to completely take over private business.

Last edited: