Washington Capitals Sign Alex Ovechkin to New 13-Year Contract

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Washington Capitals - News: Washington Capitals Sign Alex Ovechkin to New 13-Year Contract - 01/10/2008

This deal is crazy, supposely Ovechkin signed for 13 years the contract is worth 124 million dollars, he's the first player in the NHL to make over 100 million dollars.

2. Slippery Jim

Slippery Jim Registered Member

whoa! That's huge, but Ovechkin does deserve it. He's one of the biggest players in NHL history and his number will, no doubt, be retired to the caps at least. Anyway, he's a player they really need if, even with him around, they still don't have any success. Washington needs to build up their team, because right now, all they have is Nylander, Ovechkin and Kolzig

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

That's the thing about signing him to such a big deal long term, it's going to be very hard for the Capitals to sign another prime time player because they won't be able to offer him more then three million dollars a season, and no all star player is going to sign for that. So it's a good move for the Caps to sign him long term, but on the other hand it's a bad move as well.

4. Slippery Jim

yes, long-term was a good call, but they could've gone a lil' bit less, even if he is one of the best in the league, so with that move, they need to sign a guy for 3-mil who can actually set up plays. They need to spot a guy who can do something on the ice and atleast get 20 goals, that would still help them, or they could do some 3-for-1 trades to get rid of some money at the same time.

5. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

OK AS I SAID YESTERDAY...I'll say it AGAIN I guess...

DiPietro gets 15 yrs

Richards gets 10 yrs

Ovechkin gets 13 yrs

What the hell is Crosby gonna get?!

6. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

I was hoping he'd end up as a free-agent and the Rangers could've nabbed him if Jagr and Shanahan retired at the end of this season.

The problem with this deal is the obvious over payment that'll result in a star player on a team of guys barely able to keep up with him. The Capitals have screwed up with such a huge deal as it will take several years to get the money to build the team around him.

7. Millz

Was he a free agent at the end of this season anyways? He's only been around a couple of years.

8. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

Yes, he was going to be an unrestricted free agent, which is probably why they jumped to give him a long term high money deal to keep him even though the team is struggling big time.

9. Millz

He's only 22 years old though. You have to be a certain age or been in the league a certain number of years before you can become an unrestricted free agent if memory serves me correctly.

10. Slippery Jim

Crosby's contract doesn't expire for 4 years